Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2010 RXT-X High Exhaust Temp Probs!!! HELP!!!

Hey guys,

New here, just picked up two 2010 RXT-X's last fall and they've been nothing but headaches and problems so far!

On one of my skis, anything over 5000 RPMs, it triggers the hot exhaust temperature light and throws on a check engine light. You can cruise around at 5000 RPMs and below and it will not do this, but if you go over and boost it... The exhaust will heat up. Today I backwashed all of the lines to check for blockages, and everything came out flowing and clean... I also removed the intercooler and flushed that out both ways for a while and that flows water pretty well too. WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE???? Please help me come up with a few ideas.

Thanks for the help!!!

Bryan

+1
    Bad sensor or lack of water flow is my guess? You say you're getting the check engine light? What code? Have you checked the [pump outlet to IBR] http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=189&B=14area? #4 check for blockage.
    Did you install a strainer? Have you contacted your dealer?
    For what it's worth...you're the first I've heard that had this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckmoto View Post
    Bad sensor or lack of water flow is my guess? You say you're getting the check engine light? What code? Have you checked the [pump outlet to IBR] http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=189&B=14area? #4 check for blockage.
    Did you install a strainer? Have you contacted your dealer?
    For what it's worth...you're the first I've heard that had this problem.
    I just put a new waterbox and exhaust temp sensor on it last month because it did this last year and blew a hole in the waterbox, melted a coupler, and temp sensor.

The dealer won't do anything under warranty because they said since it tossed the high exhaust temp light on, that Sea Doo won't cover it because they think I sucked something up.

I just learned about the strainers, so I just ordered 2 of them for my skis, so I have not been running strainers on either ski yet.

The check engine light only comes on when it throws the high exhaust temp light, and then goes away when the temp cools down.

I did connect a garden hose to the pump to IBR line, and it did send water through, I can't tell how much though... I guess I should take the pump off and check it out?

Thanks!
    Bryan

+1
    Yea, I'm thinking you didn't fix the issue which is a water flow blockage somewhere. Make sure you do the correct reinstall of the pump(torque to 22ft lbs on the pump support bolts and loctite/sit for a day) and DON'T overtighten the iBR pivot bolts. <They go into brass inserts molded into plastic and strip out easily.

On a lighter note...I'll be down the shore on the 4th if your up and running. Prob @ corson's inlet getting my jump on

Ok, thanks for the help... I will pull the pump off and check out that fitting. Is it common for stuff to block that small fitting and line that runs into the hull?

I live up in Sparta (Sussex County), but I have a house down in Harvey Cedars on LBI, so i'm usually always ripping around down there.

Hope to get this thing up and running finally! Possible for the intercooler to be clogged enough to cause this to happen? I put a hose to it and it looked like it flowed very well... Not sure if there could still be an issue though.

BTW, does anybody make an aftermarket waterbox for this ski yet, or any Riva ones that will fit this ski? I want to run a waterbox right out of the hull to get this thing sounding like it should!

Thanks,
    Bryan

+1
    The intercoolers will clog if they are being ran in less than 3 ft of water. sucks sand right in them. Is your coolant bottle staying full?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDoo View Post
    BTW, does anybody make an aftermarket waterbox for this ski yet, or any Riva ones that will fit this ski? I want to run a waterbox right out of the hull to get this thing sounding like it should!
    Thanks,
    Bryan
    The RIVA thru hull is my favorite mod I've installed! You should see the heads turn when you fire it up at the ramp Throaty around 3k but after 6 you don't notice it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    The inter coolers will clog if they are being ran in less than 3 ft of water. sucks sand right in them.
    YUP, plus the fact that since these skis start in neutral they kick up sand/silt till you tap the throttle. Once you get it figured out - put a 3/4 GROCO strainer in and a tow valve.
    JPT7779 has a nice tutorial if you need help...

Ok thanks for the help... When I hooked the hose up to the intercooler to flush it both ways, it seemed like the water was flowing pretty well, do you think there could still be a problem there? I'm going to pull the pump in a little while and see what else I can find.

Thanks!

+1
    I don't think it is your IC water flow at all. The water comes from the pump, left side, then goes thru the iBR system and splits, up to the IC and to the exhaust manifold, which then goes to the water box. Possible areas are: the pump screen is clogged, the main line hose clamp is loose, the line to the exhaust manifold is loose and or clogged. Bad sensor and or loose connection at water-box. This wire gets very close to the water-box and could have melted through if not routed away from heat source. Bottom line: water flow is restricted to water-box and or wiring / sensor issue.

Your dealer is jerking you around, how the fuck can they say "we think you sucked up something" with NO proof. I'd be all over their ass to diagnose this issue! The guys at my dealer would NEVER treat me like that or insult my intelligence.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information