Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

96 SLTX acts like it is going into limp mode after it warms up

My 96 SLTX doesn't want to go above about 4000 rpms after it gets warm. We have checked the cooling system, and everything is good. We ran the ski until it started acting up and then we took temperature readings on the heads with a temp gun. The mag cyl. was about 160 and both other cylinders were just above 140. We checked the check valve for the fuel tank, it is working properly. We disconnected the tan wire and it still had the same problem. If anyone has any ideas on what else to look at, I would appreciate it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does it still have the original ignition system, or the update kit?

Are you losing spark on one cylinder, or are all cylinders showing signs of intermittent spark?

Does the MFD work properly?

Which Tan wire was disconnected? The one from the CDI, or the one from the temp sensor?

Ignition has been updated and the mfd seems to be working properly. We disconnected the tan wire to the temp sensor.

+1
    Rocko,
    You have PM that will help you troubleshoot this problem.

KJ

+1
    you need to remove the gray in the elect box from the cdi

Thanks for the info John. We disconnected the grey wire and reconnected the tan wire and it limited the rpms immediately where before it didn't do it until it got warmed up (10 min.)+-. We have a polaris sm just not clear on what changes with the updated ignition. We just installed the ignition update, is it possible something is hooked up wrong?

+1
    Need to be careful here. There is more than one gray wire in an updated ignition system. One gray wire goes directly to the stator from the CDI, and is not to be disconnected.

The Gen III or Update CDI has a gray RPM limit wire with a flat spade connector on the end, that normally connects to the Tan (or gray) terminal on the terminal board. With that gray wire from CDI disconnected there should be no RPM limiting.

The Tan wire from the temp sensor connects to a Tan terminal normally. There is also a Tan wire from the MFD display that connects to the same Tan terminal.

Note that if the MFD is not working properly then it can affect the ignition system.

Yes, I had disconnected the grey wire that goes from the CDI to the terminal board. I went over all the wires in the electrical box this morning to make sure that everything was connected correctly. I found something interesting. There are only two tan wires on the terminal board, one coming from the LR54 box and one coming from the MFD. Unless I am reading the diagram wrong, shouldn't there be a tan wire coming from the temp sensor? I have yet to locate the sensor itself. Can someone tell me where it is located?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko8338 View Post
    ... There are only two tan wires on the terminal board, one coming from the LR54 box and one coming from the MFD. Unless I am reading the diagram wrong, shouldn't there be a tan wire coming from the temp sensor?

I have yet to locate the sensor itself. Can someone tell me where it is located?
    According to the official Polaris Industries Parts Diagram Temp Sensor 4110220 is located on the left side of the exhaust manifold. It is held in with a clip 5240876.

I seem to recall that there was a manufacturing issue with some engines and the temp sensor was not factory installed. Instead it was tossed into the shipping crate, and the dealer was supposed to install the sender as part of the pre-delivery process. I would have to check the service bulletin listing to see if that applied to your engine/year.

Note: That LR-54 module was only used for one or two model years. Later on it was replaced with a diode or pair of diodes on the terminal board. All it does is act like a relay or combiner between the Tan wires and the gray wire signal into the CDI.

I had a problem similar to this. It would only get to about 4,000 rpm. It ended up being the exhaust hose had a hole in it. The engine could not get enough oxygen. I carefully ran it without the seat and it ran fine. Look over the hoses while it runs. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information