Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 2000 Genesis 1200 (carburetors) - RPM limited to 3500, but no warning lights??

Hi - any help on this problem would be much appreciated as i am going mad trying to work out what is wrong with the thing!!

The jubilee clips holiding the exhaust together rusted through last year, meaning there was no back pressure, causing low performance. I therefore replaced them and refitted the exhaust and everything was fine. Jubilee clip was obviously not on tight enough as it came off again. This time, after refitting the exhaust, it has been limited to 3500PRM with no warning lights or messages. Cannot work out what is going on?!?

I have taken it out for a few test runs, but only once did the damn thing get up to full speed for about 2 or 3 seconds and then the revs plummeted again.

I feel like i have tried everything, so i took the plugs out for an inspection, all ok, but after re fitting them, the ski now wont start!! It did fire up a couple cylinders a few times, but never managed to get it to start and run.

Summer is coming up and im fed up of having the worry of, will it start wont it start??

PLEASE HELP!! Thank-you, George

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome George

Is this a carburetor or fuel injected engine?

Does the MFI display say Reverse ?

Has this engine ever run properly for you?

Is it limited to 3500 RPM out of the water, on the trailer?

What is the cylinder compression?

Correct spark plugs installed?

What does the 1.2 refer to?

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply...

Sorry for the lack of detail!

It is not the FFI version, so, yes, carbs.
    The ski is not in reverse
    Yes, the ski ran for well for a good few months last year - it was behaving very well!
    Im pretty sure i can get it over 3500 out of the water.
    Last time i checked, cylinder compression was correct.
    Yes, spark plugs are right, although cant be sure that they are healthy, although they were new last year.
    Sorry - 1.2 is 1200cc (1165cc)

Thanks,
    George

+1
    When you do engage reverse does the display say Reverse?

Please confirm if RPM can rise to near redline out of the water (over 6000 RPM) when NOT in Reverse.

New carbs - what happened to the old ones?

Check cylinder compression - all spark plugs out, throttle wide open.

Confirm you have spark on all three cylinders. Do all spark plugs warm up the same amount when run out of the water for maybe ten seconds?

Yep - i get a warning message that says 'reverse' - always have done.

i will check the RPM if possible, but cant seem to get it to start at the moment... :S
    No, not new carbs, new plugs. The old ones were just old.
    When you say check compression with throttle wide open, what do you mean?
    I may have to test the spark electrically because i cant get it running atm.

Thanks for your help so far...
    George

+1
    A weak battery will cause no-spark condition. Make sure the battery voltage is over 10.6 volts while cranking.

Reverse mode will limit engine RPM to 3500, unless someone has changed the factory wiring. There is a position switch that tells the engine whenever the mechanism is not in full forward position. Either the switch has failed or the mechanism is out of adjustment.

Does reverse actually move the bucket all the way down and all the way back up?

You can operate the reverse motor (I am assuming it has PERC electric reverse) with engine off by holding the Bilge button down. In the full forward position the display should not say Reverse. If display is off press any button to wake it up.

Fresh NGK spark plugs are never a bad idea.

Thats a good point - i will check my battery reading... would this also have affected the spark output while running?

The reverse is all ok, it dosnt show 'reverse' all the time, i was just clarifying that it displays the message when actually in reverse.
    It is all the way in forward position, dont worry, thats not an issue.

I might buy some new plugs to eliminate the possibility of it being one of them...

Ill get back to you asap.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by george.r View Post
    ... When you say check compression with throttle wide open, what do you mean? ...
    Use a compression test gauge to check cylinder compression. These are available from many tool and automotive shops, and typically are not expensive (less than $50 for a consumer grade product).

With engine off, remove all spark plugs. Screw the compression gauge into one spark plug hole.

Note: Only use a screw in type compression gauge.

Hold the throttle wide open, and crank the engine. The pressure reading will pulse higher with each engine revolution. When it stops pulsing higher (takes a few seconds) stop cranking the engine and record the PSI reading.

Reset the gauge to zero and move it to the next cylinder. crank engine and again record the peak reading. Repeat for the last cylinder.

Now you have the cylinder compression PSI numbers for each cylinder. They should be within 5% from highest reading to lowest reading on a healthy engine.

Note: Compression testing requires a strong battery to provide consistent test results.

hi K447,

The compression is OK all cylinders reading about 130psi

I was playing around with it this evening, and could not see any spark whatsoever...?
    The likeyhood of all three plugs failing is very low.

I suspected the lanyard switch - so had a look at the wiring and bypassed it, no help.
    I can smell fuel in all cyclinders and they all are turning over.

I tried one last time to get it started and could only just get the cylinders to fire a couple times, meaning there must be a spark present...

Any thoughts?
    Thanks, George

+1
    Feel like we are chasing changing symptoms here...

Unplug and bypass the LR-505 module. Details can be found via my signature links.

Hold down the Bilge button and press Start. Do you now have spark? Does it now start and run?

Does the MFI display work 100% correctly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information