Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nasty Looking Hull Damage

Here we go again with more problems. When I got this ski 3 years ago there was a small crack poking out above the rub rail on the nose of the ski. I was planning on patching it with marine-tex, but never got around to it. It has slowly grown over the years, and right now the 5200 on my pump shoe is curing, so I finally decided I would tackle this crack. After removing the rub rail, this is what I was greeted with.

I don't know if this is beyond repairable? What do you guys think? Will marine-tex do the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    Here we go again with more problems. When I got this ski 3 years ago there was a small crack poking out above the rub rail on the nose of the ski. I was planning on patching it with marine-tex, but never got around to it. It has slowly grown over the years, and right now the 5200 on my pump shoe is curing, so I finally decided I would tackle this crack. After removing the rub rail, this is what I was greeted with.

I don't know if this is beyond repairable? What do you guys think? Will marine-tex do the job?

Hey Matt, send The Shadow a PM about this... this is his venue...

It's not beyond repairable, but you would need some fiberglass in there to fix it right. It doesn't look in the pictures like that is actually the hull, but the liner/top cover. If this sis the case, the damage will not affect the strength of the hull and as long as it is not leaking, this is no more than a cosmetic issue.

With that said, I would just try to fix it to where the rub rail will stay in place and try to make it look good. You could use marine tex but I think you will still need to use some glass to back it. Wax paper is also your friend when molding something back.

I've done a good bit of fiberglass work so I'm just speaking from personal experience and that is what I would do.

Hope that helps!

Well, first of all dont use fiberglass.... use west systems... I have done a much larger section on my xlt1200 when i first got it and it came out fantastic! its not too bad but that will take a bit of time and work... fix it though and get back on the water!

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll get this fixed up as soon as possible. Install the splash guard, hydro-turf, and wave eaters... Then maybe I can get my first ride of the season in!

Finished the nose tonight. I ended up using a combination of marine-tex and west system epoxy. I think it turned out pretty good and it's very strong!

Thanks again for the advice guys!

Wow, look at you!!! good job!

Thanks Andy!

Awesome job, can't even tell. Did you paint it afterwards? If so, what type of paint?

fast repair, great job!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information