Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 1998 XL 1200 Exhaust Issues! HELP!

I have a 1998 XL 1200 waverunner 200 OG hours great ski. I was hauling along today then bam loss of power and loud open header exhaust sound. Pulled the seats the rear rubber pipe that meets the muffler was slit 80% around, and it has a blown through hole on the rubber tube right below where it attaches to the exhaust metal pipe on the engine. It is running still and pumping water out the port side just fine. What would cause this to happen??? The inside of the pipe looks and smells burnt where it blew the hole through, and the styrofoam that sits around the muffler is melted pretty bad. I was riding it pretty hard right before this with a passenger. Think it just got to hot from riding hard??? No warning lights went off. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    It probably happened because there isn't enough water flow through the exhaust to cool it. Remove the exhaust and inspect it for clogs in the cooling jackets and hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    It probably happened because there isn't enough water flow through the exhaust to cool it. Remove the exhaust and inspect it for clogs in the cooling jackets and hoses.
    Thanks for the reply...That would make sense. There is no other way to flush the system? It looks like a lot of work of course its better than melting down the ski/motor! So I pull that apart and just flush the system with water and physically look for clogs? I had an extra rubber pipe laying around installed it today and ran it with the hose for 15 minutes and was cool to the touch. I know its not under stress...I may have sucked some sand in there....not sure I ran through some real shallow areas by accident but I was at full speed and just skipped acrossed it. I will check it out and let you know what happens...thanks again brother

+1
    taking just this part off is fairly easy. This is most like where the clog is.

Or if you wanna do a quick check without to much teardown, check this fitting and the hose. Thats where some of the water is injected into the exhaust to cool it.

very cool of you to post pics...thanks I am going to take your advice and pull it down looks easy enough. I blew through the lines with my mouth easily. Doesn't seem to be clogged in anyway. But it still should not have heated up that pipe like that. Let u know what happens.....Thanks again

sea shells

on the small line to the right of photo #3 with the small zip tie on it still....Only after I pulled the entire pipe did I find the entire port completely clogged with small sea shells...Im surprised that would have been enough to do what it did...maybe combined with hard riding did it. Glad I pulled it... It would have happened again for sure!! I am going to pull down the entire pipe and just reinstall new gaskets. It seems you cant really get to the entire inside of that pipe wo taking the 6 bolts off. Is this a 2 piece pipe system? seems to be to me..

thanks brother

+1
    Glad you found the problem. Yes its a multiple piece exhaust. You'll see when you start prying it all apart. Here's a couple more pics of I have of the exhaust. Just make sure you clean out all the water jackets.

Thanks man! Amazing how good yours looks...saltwater is a killer mine looked like a natural underwater reef was growing on it. Took me 3 days to get it spotless with muratic acid pneumatic wire brushes a pressure cleaner and lots of elbow grease. It was nasty. I am going to pull apart my GP 1200 exhaust just because of this and clean it out to avoid any future issues.

Cutless,

Couple questions you seem to know your stuff an I just realized your a master tech. I am as a hobby on the automotive side, 2 stroke skis are a different story.
    What do you suggest if there is such a thing to increase fuel mileage on my xl1200 (stock) what optimum cruising speed is and does 93 octane vs 87 make a difference? I been running premium.

Thanks

+1
    Cars are my specialty, 2 strokes are my hobby. I don't have much info on fuel mileage for you. As far as 87 vs 93 octane is concerned, what you should run depends (mostly) on your compression. You say its stock so I suspect 87 will work just fine for you. Right now, my GP has stock compression also, but I usually run premium because its ethanol free at a lot of gas stations around here. And 2 strokes are sensitive to fuel related problems, so I don't wanna see any ethanol problems. I plan on getting a higher compression head sometime so I'll need premium then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information