msx150 freshwater circuit

Would I create any problems by connecting a garden hose attachment to the fresh water circuit so I could run the engine and check for any problems. I recently just had the engine pulled out so i could replace the turbo that had a broken shaft. Now that its all together I have started it briefly but don't want to run it any longer than 30 seconds without water in the fresh water circuit.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    I am not highly familiar with the Weber engine cooling system, but I can provide a general answer.

It is recommended that the engine not run for more than two minutes at a time out of the water, even with garden hose cooling. The reason is the drive line seals are only cooled when the hull is actually in the water. On land these seals can overheat from extended run time on the hose. Once overheated, they will leak water into the bearings until the seals are replaced.

You can avoid the seal overheating by removing the jet pump and disconnecting the drive shaft from the engine.

Way down low inside the hull there is a large hose connected to the base of the jet pump. Right hand side when standing behind the engine, to the right and further back than the through-hull bearing carrier.

If you disconnect this hose from the jet pump you can connect it to your garden hose with a barb adapter. Now you can supply water to the engine in the same manner as the jet pump does when the hull is in the water.

Sequence is;
    Engine start, then garden hose water on
    Water off first, then engine off.

This sequence ensures water cannot back flow from the exhaust system into the engine internals.

Slipped out to the shed and took a shot of where the accessory flush adaptor is tee'd

Hope this helps. I only get to ride in salt so this is a must have.

If you only need to do this once K447's advice is the go, and follow his instructions on when to turn the tap on and off

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber flush pics  2011 001.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	244229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber flush pics  2011 003.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	244230  

that will work perfect thanks for the tip guys.....

Thread Information