Warm start on 96 SLT 700

I have a 96 SLT 700...did the update moving the purple/red wire to the orange terminals on the board....still no warm restart.....have to wait it out. Any ideas?

The bilge pump does not run when the engine is off and what is the LR module?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you sure you did the change correctly?

Unplug the Orange wire from the LR module. The LR module is in the electrical box, and can be identified by the Yellow wire going into the LR module. In contrast, the CDI ignition module does not have a Yellow wire.

With the Orange wire unplugged does the engine start?

I'm charging the battery now so I can't try pulling the LR module orange........it was low after trying to start it at the launch.......funny thing is....it started in the driveway a half hour before I got to the launch...then nothing.

I just double checked the CDI power wire......it is correct, it is disconnected from the bullet connector and jumped to the orange terminals as described in the update.

Will I be able to kill the engine if it runs with the orange wire off the LR module? Doesn't that tell the CDI to run or stop?
    Last edited by JMF1; 07-03-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: put yellow instead of orange

+1
    Orange wire is switched power.

What I am expecting is that the engine will not start with Orange wire from LR module unplugged. That should confirm that you have done the wiring change correctly. Your 1996 model does not have a Bilge button, otherwise I could have used that for a test.

Black/Yellow wire is engine kill signal from lanyard and Stop button.

You can kill the engine manually by applying full choke and full throttle, should the need arise.

OK, going out to try removing the orange wire now....if it doesn't start, what does that mean other than I did the update correctly? Where should I look next? Replace the RL module?

Orange wire unplugged....no start. I plug the orange back in and try it.....no spark/run.

Plugged CDI into original pigtail.....it runs......reconnect to jumper per update.....it runs......double checked all connections and they are good.....why it wouldnt start yesterday i have no idea unless the battery was drained just enough....rode it for 20 minutes the night before after getting out of storage then tried again yesterday and no spark. Now the battery is charged so hopefully that was the problem yesterday. We'll see if the warm restart problem still exists......

+1
    A weak battery can have you chasing your tail when diagnosing ignition problems

These Polaris engines really like a strong battery.

My recommendation is a factory sealed AGM type battery, such as the Deka ETX16LM or Odyssey PC625

Thread Information