Unhappy Stock 99' 1200 PV top end rebuild kits? Where's the best place to get the parts?

Where can I buy a quality top end rebuild kit for a 99' 1200PV engine?

The kids ran one of the ski's and water (fresh) got sucked through the carbs and into the motor. (exhaust rubber coupling came loose and flooded the hull) I just did a compression test after I got it running on the trailer... I am seeing about 25 psi difference between lowest(#3) and highest(#1) cylinder. (75-100 psi using Autozone compression tester) {95psi(#2)} I am taking it out later to make sure all the water is out of it but figure I need to break down the top end anyway (ski has 102 kid unfriendly hours on it!) and check things out just to see if there's any major damage. Its been awhile since I bought parts for these ski's and the parts prices have me gagging!!! The ski's engine is entirely stock but i have done some carb mods when I rebuilt them a few years back.

Looking at the OEM parts, if I replace the pistons as well, parts will run about $700.... I'm okay with it if its the best way to go but I am hoping there are more economical alternatives out there that guys in this forum know about.

Thanks Yall!

+1
    The concern here is the crank. It has been exposed to water apparently for a long time. If this is the case, then it is possible that rust may have formed on it along with contaminants that even fresh water has. Dirt, rust and cranks don't get along well. If you rode the boat hard for a while after the hull filled with water, then you are more than likely OK because the water was blown out, but it is something to consider if this is not the case.

www.boats.net is a great place to get parts. Because your boat is an earlier model, they may not have what you want posted on the internet. You may have to talk to a salesperson directly. I would also check the tolerances on the pistons to see if they are actually out of spec. Stock Yammis are built very conservatively which is why they last so long. It is possible to get 3-400 hours on stock pistons. You may be pleasantly surprised. If you do decide to get new pistons, they will ask you for the casting # on the top of each cylinder to match it with the different size pistons.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Salty,

I just broke it down yesterday... Looks like the cylinder and piston in the rear of the engine is damaged too. I am going to need to replace it as well. I found a top end rebuild kit on ebay for about $750 with 1 cylinder included. What do you guys think of this deal? I've got questions that it is compatable with the OEM parts though because their kit comes complete with pistons too.

Also, quick question, I don't think there is much "debris" in the crankcase, and haven't really searched the forum yet, but how best can I "flush" this area out just to make sure that its clean of any metal shavings?

The bottom of the cylinder/piston was scratched up pretty badly but not the top. It was still running when I pulled it apart.... i just knew there was something wrong because it was running poorly out of the hole and at top speed compared to our other ski.

Thanks Y'all!

+1
    PM WFO he might have what you are looking for... www.wfoperformance.net

Thank You Speed! Request sent!

What do you guys think of this kit and price?

Can I use this cylinder to replace the stock one thats scored up without any problems?

Sorry, I did this wrong....

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Never heard of JSF brand. A lot of money to take a risk.

Thread Information