Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Exhaust temperature warning indicator

Hello everyone,

I have 2003 XLT 1200 about 155 hrs rebuilt top end about 10 hrs on new rebuild. I was on water today no issues WOT couple times hit 60 mph. My wife goes out with friend doing say 15 - 20 mph (she is new rider) and the exhaust temperature warning indicator goes off my buddy was riding beside her and he said shut of engine and he then I think swiped hand across intake grill. They came back to shore at about 40 mph now and never came back on. After sitting for a bit I went back out not holding back giving a couple WOT and no issues with top speed again and no exhaust warning either.

It was hot today water was about 70 degrees do you think it was her slow iddle or something get caught up?

Thanks in advance.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have 2003 XLT 1200 about 155 hrs rebuilt top end about 10 hrs on new rebuild. I was on water today no issues WOT couple times hit 60 mph. My wife goes out with friend doing say 15 - 20 mph (she is new rider) and the exhaust temperature warning indicator goes off my buddy was riding beside her and he said shut of engine and he then I think swiped hand across intake grill. They came back to shore at about 40 mph now and never came back on. After sitting for a bit I went back out not holding back giving a couple WOT and no issues with top speed again and no exhaust warning either.

It was hot today water was about 70 degrees do you think it was her slow iddle or something get caught up?

Thanks in advance.
    sounds like you cat. convertor is gone, That will cause it.

+1
    So D-plate with Sensor Chip, Cat Temp, YAM 1200/1300 PV 66V/60T? Is Riva best place for this I live in Canada, Ontario and is this a big job to install my friend will be doing the work hopefully. I also have concern with this on Riva site:

NOTE: Installation requires additional fuel be supplied to motor to prevent lean conditions. Carbureted models may require replacing jets. Fuel injected models require installation of EFI Control Unit to provide additional fuel.

How about a new Cat? Anyone have one and can you get them?

How long can I get away with not doing this I leave for the lake around July 20th and I am not sure if I can get this work done in time with the wait for parts etc...

+1
    Back out after work and no issue could not get the warning indicator to go on again rode hard for 30 - 45 minutes and no warning...any thoughts...I think I am going to order d-plate and sensor regardless.

+1
    D-plate and sensor on order hope it makes it before I go away and can get my buddy to do work...You guys know how long this job takes and if I can't get it done before going away and it never came back on the other day do you guys think I will be okay?

Do you think it could just be some kind of sensor and cat is okay?

Don't roast me here cause I am a newb but could I just put sensor that is coming with d-plate on and do d-plate when I get back would this stop warning indicator?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    D-plate and sensor on order hope it makes it before I go away and can get my buddy to do work...You guys know how long this job takes and if I can't get it done before going away and it never came back on the other day do you guys think I will be okay?

Do you think it could just be some kind of sensor and cat is okay?

Don't roast me here cause I am a newb but could I just put sensor that is coming with d-plate on and do d-plate when I get back would this stop warning indicator?
    the cat is probably clogged or coming apart resulting in high temperature readings in the pipe... so just putting in the sensor chip will just shut up the warning, not fix the exhaust overheat problem

+1
    Should take approx. 2 hours to install D-plate& chip. Make sure you have copper spray-a-gasket on hand. Don't worry about re-jetting.

+1
    Thanks guys someday I hope to be the one helping with answers.

Hi All, I have replaced my cat converts in both my 1200 XLTs (2004s), been running fine for 2 years. Question, I've read you can opt out of the expensive Yamalube oil once you pull the cat. but I don't have any firm intell that explains why this is okay/safe for your engine, anyone able to provide some good technical info on the subject matter

+1
    Interested I have read this as well but would be nervous to try that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information