Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help is this normal or do I have an issue?

I just bought this(98' GSX Limited) and I've never owned one so sorry for the questions.

-idle is set at 1200 so it seams to idle a touch rough but if i gas it to like 1400 is totally smooth. should I raise the Idle?

-Its seeing about 6900-6950rpm at max throttle now, is this about right?

-lastly, it accelerated smooth and on plane it very smooth but when I let off the throttle to stop it seams like there is a prop rattle or something on decel, is this normal?

thank you

+1
    What model and engine ?

Sorry is a 98' GSX limited which is the 951 motor

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    The "Limited" term are always 130hp 951cc . Out of water idle should be 3K +/- and in water should be 1500 +/-. The rpm's seem right? but absolutely check the impeller edges under it with a flash light and that also could be the noise from something there too.Also check the motor mounts and get back with us.The guys on here are pretty sharp...

Cool, so max rpm seams good.

But the rattle isnt normal? How do I check the impeller? what do I look for?

also you say check the motor mounts? they loosen over time?

If it makes a difference the boat has roughly 82 hours on it now

so all the motor mounts are tight. took a look at the impeller and it doesn't look too bad at all. I mean it has a couple tiny nicks in it but nothing bad. the impellar fits nice and tight in the wear ring as well no big gaps or anything.

If you are pretty sure it sounds like the pump rattling. Pull the pump cone and inspect the anti rattle pusher. Maybe it's damaged or wore out. Other wise my other thought is that
    crank bearings can make noise on decel. If you know anyone who knows anything about skis you may want to get an opinion on what it sounds like to them. Anyway, just my two cents.

If you are pretty sure it sounds like the pump rattling. Pull the pump cone and inspect the anti rattle pusher. Maybe it's damaged or wore out. Other wise my other thought is that
    crank bearings can make noise on decel. If you know anyone who knows anything about skis you may want to get an opinion on what it sounds like to them. Anyway, just my two cents.

Its not the crankshaft. The impeller has some rotating play in it like the prop is loose on the shaft being iether worn splines or worn spines on the prop. is this comon? there is no in and out play at all just rotating play of like maybe a 1/4 inch or so.

+1
    Sounds like the pump bearings are shot.

Pull the pump then remove the impeller and pump shaft and see what things look like.

While you have the pump off check the rubber bumpers on each end of the driveshaft, if they look squished replace them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information