Auto-Rotation Camcorder Mount

My GTX:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	244318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	244317

We've been getting into learning wakeboarding from the jet ski, and our first couple attempts to record using a small handheld camera were miserable. The guy on the back seat can't film for crap (no matter who it is).

SO, I decided to install a ski pole (mainly to allow a ballast bag to be mounted on the rear deck), and this led to the idea of using the ski pole as a tripod.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	244319 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	244316

-Hacked off the top of an unused tripod, bolted it to the top of the ski pole (top of ski pole is solid, FYI)
    -The white thing is a piece of PVC (coupler from lowes) that I shaped with a dremel tool. One thing to take into account was how big to make the hole for the rope. Too big, and you have a dead zone. Too small, and you can't pull the knotted parts of the rope through to make the rope shorter.

I can't wait to try this on the water. I recorded some in the garage of me just pulling around and it tracked perfectly. Hopefully I won't flip the jet ski while this thing is on.

Banned User
    +1
    Um, just how water resistant is that camera?? Very nice mount-but, you may wanna go with a cheap Go Pro HD first-just in case.
    Also, since the camera is "hard mounted" to the boat, any vibrations or bouncing from waves is going to be directly transmitted to the camera. If the camera has a built-in hard drive, it will shut off, to prevent G-shock damage to the hard drive.
    IMHO, you are much better off with a "dude" on the back of the boat filming. This way, "dude" absorbs most of the vibration/bounce, and the footage will look much better.
    Last-it looks like the sensor on that camera is a CMOS. Any bouncing movement, will cause the "jello" effect, and it's magnified when zoomed in, even a little.

But, good luck with your film-can't wait to see what you can come up with-be sure to post it here.

This camera has no water resistance. I'll share a test soon . The videos we've taken with a dude holding the camera are pretty miserable, plus it's less enjoyable to try to hold a camera than to watch.

The go pro is on the list, in just figured that itd be always zoomed out and make the rider appear small on screen

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by andisblue View Post
    This camera has no water resistance. I'll share a test soon . The videos we've taken with a dude holding the camera are pretty miserable, plus it's less enjoyable to try to hold a camera than to watch.

The go pro is on the list, in just figured that itd be always zoomed out and make the rider appear small on screen

that was shot with a gopro hero hd.... unless the rider is back by that wall which would be around 50-75 feet you should be fine

Banned User
    +1
    His point was that unless the "rider" is more than 50-75 feet behind the ski, he won't look smaller. Also, if you zoom in, with your CMOS camera, that is only going to aggravate the "jello" or rolling shutter effect. Negating any gains you got from mounting the camera solidly to the boat.
    Did I mention water??
    But, go shoot some test footage and see how well it works out.

+1
    nice . . . post a video

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    His point was that unless the "rider" is more than 50-75 feet behind the ski, he won't look smaller. Also, if you zoom in, with your CMOS camera, that is only going to aggravate the "jello" or rolling shutter effect. Negating any gains you got from mounting the camera solidly to the boat.
    Did I mention water??
    But, go shoot some test footage and see how well it works out.
    Took some test footage. Water was choppy in the savannah river, so the video was bouncy, plus it seemed to have engine vibration( I was viewing through the LCD).

I put the camera in the rear storage compartment after using, and it took in some water. Now the camera won't turn on. The camera was inside a bag which was not wet, so I don't really understand. Oh well. Go pro is next I guess

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by andisblue View Post
    Took some test footage. Water was choppy in the savannah river, so the video was bouncy, plus it seemed to have engine vibration( I was viewing through the LCD).

I put the camera in the rear storage compartment after using, and it took in some water. Now the camera won't turn on. The camera was inside a bag which was not wet, so I don't really understand. Oh well. Go pro is next I guess

condensation has a way with electronics......

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    put it in a bag of rice.. i do it to my cell phone all the time after it got wet several times.. works very well at absorbing the water out of the electronics.

Thread Information