Oil Injection or Premix?

I just bought a 1999 LS2000 and both motor have major problems. I know that one of the problems was caused by an oil line coming off. I am thinking of going to premix and was wondering if there are any issues with this. Does loosing the variable oil injection cause any problems?

I know that this is not really the best Forum for this as it is a jet boat, but I always seem to get good answers here and this has the same motors as the non pv GP1200s.

Thanks for any ideas, John

+1
    most people on here run premix.

do some searches youll find lots of reading. some still run injection, its better on oil, and its safe as long as you make sure those oil lines are on there good and tight. the thought of going back is always lingering in my head

+1
    The good news about oil injection on the 65U non powervalve engines is that its easy to get to and inspect. Inspect it often. If you keep it, I'd suggest you buy new hoses and checkvalves just to be safe. There are some good aftermarket oil injection hose out there or you could buy new OEM hose (which is what I did). The OEM hose is really nice and fits tight.
    I also recommend you buy some crimp style clamps. Follow this thread for more details:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...mps&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    most people on here run premix.

do some searches youll find lots of reading. some still run injection, its better on oil, and its safe as long as you make sure those oil lines are on there good and tight. the thought of going back is always lingering in my head
    My thought is that with 2 motors and 6 oil lines that there are many chances for a failure. The other thing is that I do not have a marina and I haul my gas anyway, so adding oil to each can is not much of an issue if it is safer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCiccarelli View Post
    My thought is that with 2 motors and 6 oil lines that there are many chances for a failure. The other thing is that I do not have a marina and I haul my gas anyway, so adding oil to each can is not much of an issue if it is safer.

Well put. These are the two issues. The safest way is messy for some... the easier way has a certain degree of danger built in and so you must compensate by inspection on occasion. What ever works best for you.

+1
    I'd stick with injection, just check your lines. You'd be going back to the 1970's if you start premixing, not to mention wasting expensive oil, pollute more, gum your carbs up ,etc. Oil injection was invented to address all the problems of pre mix. Premix isn't fail proof either. What if you're not having your sharpest day and short the ratio or forget the oil altogether? Engine shot.

+1
    An often overlooked benefit to pre mix is the peak RPM gain from not driving the pump. It may not be much, but every little bit counts.

Thread Information