Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drive Shaft do I need a tool?

Guy's I'm trying to remove my PTO cover so I can install the RR overdrive gears. I have everything apart and the pumps off. But I can't get the drive shaft out? I've seen the Seadoo has a tool to separate the shaft. Do I have to get it to make it happen?

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    If it's the same on the boats as the ski you may be able to do it by hand but most are not able to . I had to get the floating ring tool which slides the floating ring back along with the carbon seal until you can access the circlip located under the floating ring. Once you remove that then you remove the pump and the driveshaft simply slides out.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    somefun i posted the manual in on this thread check it out maybe some help to you

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    pry bar and blocks of wood do the trick as well...

youn want to lube the heck out of everything, ESPECIALLY if it's a salt water boat/ski ... put a block of wood against the motor or something and put the pry bar down at the floating ring (stainless steel ring) and use the motor and wood as leverage... push the floating ring back until the circlip is exposed

you can't do this with the pump removed. the driveshaft needs to be braced and held in place... if you remove the pump u'll never move the floating ring, the whole driveshaft will jsut move in and out of the PTO with leverage. bolt a block of wood across the pump to keep the driveshaft pushed in, or put the pump back on...

then try pushing the floating ring back towards the rear of the boat... sometimes it takes alot to initially break it loose, once it's free then constant hard pressure will slide it back and u'll see the clip on the driveshaft.... pop the clip off, take the pump/brace off and go to the rear and just pull it all out.

put a towel under the PTO housing as oil will come out

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    If it's the same on the boats as the ski you may be able to do it by hand but most are not able to . I had to get the floating ring tool which slides the floating ring back along with the carbon seal until you can access the circlip located under the floating ring. Once you remove that then you remove the pump and the driveshaft simply slides out.
    It takes some force, but the circlip needs to come out! I had to put my legs on the back of the hull to get it out, after removing the C-clip.

Thanks Guy's for the help. I'll go out and give it a go...

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    pry bar and blocks of wood do the trick as well...

youn want to lube the heck out of everything, ESPECIALLY if it's a salt water boat/ski ... put a block of wood against the motor or something and put the pry bar down at the floating ring (stainless steel ring) and use the motor and wood as leverage... push the floating ring back until the circlip is exposed

you can't do this with the pump removed. the driveshaft needs to be braced and held in place... if you remove the pump u'll never move the floating ring, the whole driveshaft will jsut move in and out of the PTO with leverage. bolt a block of wood across the pump to keep the driveshaft pushed in, or put the pump back on...

then try pushing the floating ring back towards the rear of the boat... sometimes it takes alot to initially break it loose, once it's free then constant hard pressure will slide it back and u'll see the clip on the driveshaft.... pop the clip off, take the pump/brace off and go to the rear and just pull it all out.

put a towel under the PTO housing as oil will come out
    There is a seal where the shaft goes into the PTO housing, be carefull not to damage it! As Shibby stated there will be some oil that will come out, but not a lot!

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    that seal isn't overly important... oil actually comes out in between that seal to lubricated the bearing carrier in the rubber PTO boot... the bearing and boot itself are the seals keeping oil from pouring out of the crankcase

somefun, go give it a shot, let us know how you make out or any problems u come across.

You guy's rock!! Got it done just like you said. Thanks for all the help!!! So now all I have to do is take off the bolts that hold the PTO cover on and oh baby there's the gears. I'm going to put in the over drive gears along with the S3's I got from Jerry. Also ordered the ceramic SC bearings since I'm in there might as well do it at the same time. This winter HP is getting expensive $$$$

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information