Not reaching top speed

I recently purchased a 99 gp800 and love it sooo far. The guy I bought it from said it had some mods and could reach 70mph..... The best I can get is 50 and most of the time low 40s it's very intermittent but it is bogging down on the top end..... It starts fine and runs fine at lower rpms.... Looks like between 6-7 on the tach it bogs intermittently. The previous owner told me he thought it could be setiment in the gas? He replace the plugs but not the wires. It seems to be a fuel problem to me.

Can an additive to the gas help clean carbs? Fuel filter? Where should I start..... I know the ski should do better than 40 mph

Your ski will not do 70 in stock form. I'm not sure it's possible to get a GP800 to 70 without serious engine mods. I cold be wrong though.

I think mid 50s is possible in a GP800... but I could be wrong. First thing I would do is have your carbs rebuilt and jetted. Make sure they're set up for the elevation you ride at most often.

Yeah not sure of the mods.... Previous owner said it was raced some..... I know the reviews say it will do 60 stock.....but either way I'm only getting around low 40s...... Could it be setiment in the gas? I hate to take it to the shop for the carbs and miss out on prime skiing.... Also about how much should a carb rebuild cost?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvoutlawbkkkr View Post
    I recently purchased a 99 gp800 and love it sooo far. The guy I bought it from said it had some mods and could reach 70mph..... The best I can get is 50 and most of the time low 40s it's very intermittent but it is bogging down on the top end..... It starts fine and runs fine at lower rpms.... Looks like between 6-7 on the tach it bogs intermittently. The previous owner told me he thought it could be setiment in the gas? He replace the plugs but not the wires. It seems to be a fuel problem to me.

Can an additive to the gas help clean carbs? Fuel filter? Where should I start..... I know the ski should do better than 40 mph
    Maybe 70 on the speedo but in reality it will not even be close to 70.

Yeah not sure of the mods.... Previous owner said it was raced some..... I know the reviews say it will do 60 stock.....but either way I'm only getting around low 40s...... Could it be setiment in the gas? I hate to take it to the shop for the carbs and miss out on prime skiing.... Also about how much should a carb rebuild cost?
    If there is sediment in your tank and bad fuel in your lines, you likely need a carb rebuild. PM OsideBill for information on that. You won't have that much downtime... you can also rebuild the carbs yourself, but it's not good to do unsupervised if you've never done it before.

Also, pull your spark plugs and check them. Post pics of them here if you can.

Where was the ski previously ridden? And where do you ride it? Are both locations at the same elevation? Also, how long was it stored before you got it and started running it? And how was it stored? Was it winterized properly? These are questions to ask when you're buying the ski... if you can ask the previous owner, do it.

I hate to take it to the shop for the carbs and miss out on prime skiing....
    if you don`t find the root cause of the bog, it will cost you a lot more riding time...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    if you don`t find the root cause of the bog, it will cost you a lot more riding time...
    +1...don't rush it. Fix it right or it'll blow up

+1
    You should get 50 most all days. If it has been raced and only getting 40, and only 6k, time to check compression. If compression is good, time to get into the carbs.

Thread Information