Thread: Stuck oil cap

Stuck oil cap

I have a 08 GP1300. The oil cap seems to be stuck on. I think its due to suction on the cap. It has been tight before but I have been able to use pliers to get it off in the past. But I can't seem to get enough bite for that to work this time. Does any one else get this problem? If so what have you done to resolve it. I'd love to get some type of aftermarket cap that is easier to grip to get on and off but have never been able to find one.

I hated fighting with my oil cap. When pliers failed, I went with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to break the seal.

Premix solved all of those problems though... Oil injection scares me.

it is just on there to tight. There is a roll over valve, and the system is circulatory, so just make sure the threads are clean and not gummed up with spilled oil, put a light coat of marine grease on the rubber gasket seal, and don`t kill it when reinstalling the cap. just make it snug so no water can get it... also no doubt it is right up against the inside bore of the cowl, not making it easier to remove...

the 1300 oiling is a good system, if it works and adjusted correctly, it will be fine...

+1
    Once you get it off, you may also want to check the threads on the tube section. I know on my old 95 WaveVenture, the previous owner tightened it so tight that it start to rip the treads out. This made it harder to open, so I just ordered and replace that part.

+1
    Mine has been stuck shut for years....... I like it that way.... Will never lose it!!!

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    I have a 08 GP1300. The oil cap seems to be stuck on. I think its due to suction on the cap. It has been tight before but I have been able to use pliers to get it off in the past. But I can't seem to get enough bite for that to work this time. Does any one else get this problem? If so what have you done to resolve it. I'd love to get some type of aftermarket cap that is easier to grip to get on and off but have never been able to find one.
    Yea, mine was stuck also. Here is how I fixed it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aedfuelgauge.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	244379

yup, mines stuck to!

Mine stuck on both my GPR and my XLT. I just used a flat head to take the tube off the inside. Then with the tube off you can back off the inside nut. This gives more room between the fairing and the cap. Also keeps you from scratching things up if you have to get rough with it...

Tmg97gp, What gage is that?

Thread Information