Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

uh oh...milky oil & creamy tank

well after an oil change and running it for a day, the oil on the dipstick is milky (almost green looking) and there is white "cream" on top of the oil tank, where the cap screws in. I can also see water droplets resting on top of the tank (actually inside).

Is it safe to say that the problem is a loose baffle in the oil tank? Or is it more likely something else like a bad head gasket? The ski DID have a slow start up, but after that ran great, no overheating, great idle.

If it is the baffle is there a way to fix it without having to buy a new tank?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The baffle inside the tank is just to keep the oil from sloshing about.

It does not separate oil from coolant.

My signature links for the Weber engine include links to a method for taking the oil tank apart.

+1
    I thought a bad O-ring inside the oil tank would cause water and oil to mix?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    I thought a bad O-ring inside the oil tank would cause water and oil to mix?
    My point was that the baffle is not something that separates oil from water.

The o-rings are important. If you take your tank apart you will see how it is supposed to be sealed internally.

+1
    Of course every component is important.. My main question is can a bad oil tank o-ring cause a water intrusion into the oil ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    ... Can a bad oil tank o-ring cause a water intrusion into the oil ?
    My understanding is yes, leaking internal oil tank seals can cause oil and water to mix.

See this thread;
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...l=1#post902926

+1
    ouch, sounds like my problem. i think my heads gone! you can rule out your tank, buy simply removing it, and blocking off the raw water outlet, and blowing hard on the water inlet (i know its not a scientific test), but if the oil is that creamy straight away, and it was the tank, it simply wouldnt hold the pressure.

my oil went creamy straight away, and my oil tank is perfect (new type oil tank) so im pulling my engine at the mo.

i hope your
    head is ok dude, but you need to rule out the tank, as if its not that, you have to look at your closed loop water system!

the next step would be compression test, and i would definately pressure test your closed loop water system to check for leaks (should hold 10-15psi) if not..... check your water pump seal/ oil cooler (pressure check) and head gasket

+1
    i will pull tank and test it....I will also compression test (this will tell me if the head gasket is good or bad)

+1
    I removed the oil, and holy crap it looked like guacamole sauce (green)! I compression tested both cylinders and got 112/112 ...I know that looks low but by gauge isn't the best and the engine was cold, and the numbers are dead close. I believe if the head gasket was blown I wouldn't have any coolant left in my tank, but I do. There is no white smoke either.

Once the oil tank was out, I could here the baffle rattling inside right away. Also, water came out (half a cup) from this outlet :

Also, this outlet on the bottom of the tank was dripping my special green guacamole oil:

So here's my question: because water came out of that outlet shown, does that mean my oil tank seals are causing the water and oil to mix? And how can I test the oil tank so that I know it is causing the oil/water mix?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Did you read that entire thread? I think there is mention of pressure testing one tank section to see if it leaked pressure into the other side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information