Aluminum (Riva) vs. Silicone Thru-Hull Exhaust (Piranha / Home made with Clamps)

I have just installed the Piranha thru-hull. Pics and how to soon.

Just have a question regarding the sound. I know some people here have made there own thru hull silicone exhaust using the old exhaust tube. Have any of you since gone to a Riva aluminum exhaust and noticed a difference?

I ask because there still seems to be a resonance in the 3000-3100RPM range (although not nearly as bad as before with the free flow exhaust).

Is the resonance being caused by the silicone tube of the Piranha exhaust or is that just the sound of the waterbox and I need to get me a TDR one? It's not that it's loud (it's actually pretty quiet), it's just bassy and resonant in the 3000-3100RPMs.

I have the same resonance with the Riva thru hull

its the Tube...thats why you put them on...once on the water you can't really hear it

Yeah, that's what I figure. And don't get me wrong, I like it now, but I'm wondering how a TDR Waterbox would sound on it...I've been reading on here it's a crisper sound. Does it increase that resonance I'm talking about or just add some throatiness and rasp to the sound (Harleyish sound)? In other words, I'm wondering what the TDR will do if I add it to my setup??

Wettank, do you have modded waterbox? How bout you Pooche? I think you have a waterbox...pretty sure I've seen you on here talking about it. How did it change the sound if you do?

Is this an accurate representation?

http://www.youtube.com/user/esecking.../1/x-Bn97G_ubw

I know it sounds different outta the water, but it does give me an idea...the two videos side by side.

I drilled holes in the baffle of my stock waterbox and cut it shorter. No real difference...I prefered the through hull to the j pipe..once you get out on the water it's a different story... I have a really good muffler now....turbo...

Stock box for now but looking into the TDR.The deep drone I have is only at about 3000 rpms and Im not at that RPM range for long

Yeah me neither, except in the slow zone. I just ordered the TDR, part #02-0084, because the others wont work with the Piranha exhaust.

I'm hoping I like it. I wont know for 2 weeks! It's gonna be a long wait! 2 weeks, then shipping. lol

Thread Information