MSX 140 won't idle

Hi. Thanks for your help. I'll try to keep this brief. I bought this ski a few weeks ago with 16 hours. It basically sat in the guy's garage. Put it in the water and it ran great, although it only gets to about 6100 RPM's (about 50 mph). Just today, it stopped idling. I put in new spark plugs. Still won't idle. If I start it with about half throttle, it starts right up and runs fine. Any suggestions on places to start? Wondering why it doesn't idle and why the RPM's only max out at 6,000.

Maybe a related question - is there a way to tighten the throttle cable? It seems like maybe it has some play.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Throttle cable slack is adjusted by turning the threaded adjuster near the throttle body. There is a lock nut that you loosen then turn the sleeve. Always leave a little slack at the throttle lever. Just enough play that the lever is not holding tension on the cable at idle.

Only use the correct NGK PZFR6H spark plugs. No substitutes.

My guess regarding the no idle condition is that the TPS needs replacement. It is located on the rear end of the throttle body shaft, under the flame arrestor base.

Low engine RPM might just be due to excess slack in the throttle cable. Recheck max RPM with proper cable adjustment.

If RPM is still low (normally about 6700 RPM, give or take), check cylinder compression.

See my signature links for more useful info.

Thanks! At the throttle body, with the throttle lever on the handlebar fully squeezed I can push the throttle just a bit further by hand. Is that supposed to work like that, or should I tighten the cable to take out that play? Excuse my ignorance (waiting on a shop manual), but at the other spot down at the bottom facing the front of the ski where the throttle cable passes through, there is quite a bit of additional travel I can push by hand when the throttle lever is fully squeezed. Is that correct as well?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Set the slack at idle position to be correct (just a tiny bit. Spec is .060", but I set mine a tad tighter ). Tighten locking ring, recheck idle slack.

When properly set, even when turning steering from lock to lock the idle position slack must not go to zero.

Then you can check for slack at full throttle. A tiny bit doesn't matter much. 99% throttle is not much different from 100% throttle.

Make sure the cable retaining nuts on the throttle body bracket are tight.

Time to restart this thread, since I still haven't fixed this thing (haven't tried very hard). Once again, no idle, but runs out ok (although only hits about 6100 RPM's max). We unbolted and then rebolted the TPS and it actually idled properly (I have no idea why!) until I hit the throttle a few times. After that, it went back to dying when letting go of the throttle. We also played with the TPS to get to a rich condition, and it idled just fine (but smoked, of course), so I'm assuming a lean condition at idle. Since the ski did sit for years with gas in the tank, could one or more fuel injectors have some varnish? Could that cause no idle and lower max RPM'S? If so, what's the best cleaner to run through the injectors? This ski is literally like brand new with under 25 hours.

I'm borderline desperate, so if anyone has any ideas, please HELP! Still can't get the ski to idle and top end RPM's around 6100. Removed all three fuel injectors and had them professionally cleaned and tested on a machine. Checked fuel pressure on the rail - 23 psi. Replaced TPS with brand new one - no change. Spark plugs are new and are the correct ones for this machine.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm out of ideas and very frustrated.

+1
    had a problem like yours.it was hard to start would not always idle erratic rpms & speeds.changed lots of parts with no change.pulled the engine to ckeck the flywheel an found peices of the thust washer from the starter drive had chewed the flywheel to sh-t causing erratic timing signal.swaped the one from my spare and its all good.now just have to find another flywheel.anyone have an extra one around

Thread Information