Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking to buy Polaris - MSX 150 questions, also Ignition Update Kit for SLTX 1050

Hello guys, I'm thinking to buy a new polaris watercraft and i want to ask you is a polaris MSX 150 a good choice?

I have a Polaris SLTX 1050 and i am very satisfied with this machine but i am looking for something to pull waterskis. The MSX has a four stroke engine and is definitely better for pulling something because four strokes have more torque. I know nothing about the MSX 150, is it a reliable and good machine? or should I buy something else. I know I could buy a sea-doo or yamaha but i really like polaris watercrafts and i don't want to buy anything else.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by K447; 07-11-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well...

The MSX 150 is a nice hull and looks good. The 750cc Weber turbo engine is very different from everything else, and it can get complicated to service.

When it is running well owners love the MSX 150. When it has troubles they can be a real hassle to sort out.

Engine internal repairs can be extremely expensive. Sometimes the Nikasil cylinder wall plating fails. If this happens the cost to repair can be very high.

Read my signature links regarding recommended upgrades and maintenance. Especially the ECU flash upgrade and the available turbo upgrade.

If you can find an MSX 150 with the engine internally in very good condition (excellent compression, for starters), with no waste gate issues, no water in oil, no oil in the air intake tract, excellent maintenance history (with very frequent oil changes) and it runs up to the expected max RPM, then it is worth considering.

Budget for the ECU reflash, and consider the oil tank upgrade or modification to the oil breather.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a familiar (and easier to repair) 2-stroke machine consider the Polaris Genesis. Excellent hull for towing, and rated for four people on board. It is available with both carburetor and Ficht fuel injected engines.

Thank you for all the useful information you have provided me with, I will probably end up keeping my old machine. It looks like the MSX is a great machine, however if the repair costs are so high it is best for me to stick with my SLTX 1050.

If it is not too much trouble i have one more question to ask you, I need the part number for the 1999 Polaris SLTX 1050 ignition update kit. I found a part number on this forum which was 2873356, this number does not exist anymore.

All that i could find was the stator 4010170 but it will not work with my old CDI box. If you can help me with this it would be very appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by K447; 07-10-2011 at 10:59 PM.

+1

Not sure why 2873356 is not showing up :

World of Powersports is still listing it for $370

So is Bike Bandit

Ignition Update Kit 2873091 is the same CDI with electrically the same stator, except the stator cable's exit grommet is meant for the older style flywheel housing. Your 1999 stator cable exits near the top of the flywheel while the older 1996-1998 style exits down near the starter motor.

Essentially the 2873356 Update Kit is simply a discounted package price for the Gen III stator and Gen III CDI. The same Gen III CDI and stator were used for normal manufacturing after 1999.
    Last edited by K447; 07-09-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Thank you, I found the updated ignition kit on partspitstop for a very good price, $305. I have one question, what should i do about my wiring? Will it fit to the existing hole which is on the top of my crankcase or do i have to make a new one on the bottom. I tried to find the answer to the question on the forum, but i couldn't find a link to show me how to do this. One more thing, there is very little room to take out the front cover. I was thinking to remove the engine but now i want to remove the fuel tank, do u have any other suggestions to do this?

Thank you

+1
    Which kit part number did you purchase?

# 2873091

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgueni View Post
    # 2873091
    The alternate suppliers I linked to didn't have the correct kit available?

+1
    Look for a MSX 140 you will be Very Happy with it!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The alternate suppliers I linked to didn't have the correct kit available?
    I don't know, I am going to call them on Monday. The part number i gave you (2873091) is it the right kit or not? I called them and they said that it would fit, it is $70 cheaper than the links you gave me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information