Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gp1200r running like a 3 legged dog need help!

hey guys,

i am new to this forums and i have read a s**t load of threads in regard to this so can u give me a hand

i have a 01 gp1200r and its running like poo, when i run it outside of the water on flush it runs prefect nothing out of the ordinary, but as soon as i put it in the water it runs on idle fine put as soon as i accelerate it boggs and doesnt go anywhere.

ive done a comp test all 3 are between 115 -120, no warning lights coming up when running, power valves open and close when key is put it and open and close when running on flush.

from wat ive read with a few other people they have had a similar problem as well

My friend has a 2000 gpr that were in the process of fixing and he is having the same problem.... idk about yours but he has a crack in his exhaust and he was having trouble with the jet pump ... it worked perfect out of the water but when you put it in water it would run like s**t

+1
    it the catalytic converter still in the pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by 95 raider View Post
    My friend has a 2000 gpr that were in the process of fixing and he is having the same problem.... idk about yours but he has a crack in his exhaust and he was having trouble with the jet pump ... it worked perfect out of the water but when you put it in water it would run like s**t
    mine doesnt have any cracks thorugh the exhaust and i had the jet pump rebuilt by my mate from yamaha about 2 months ago but i might take it out and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    it the catalytic converter still in the pipe?
    where abouts is that located in the pipe??

Its in the big "s" shaped pipe that uses two rubber couplings to connect it in series with the exhaust system. The lower rubber couppling is located next to a hull "wall" that separates the engine from the muffler components.

Be aware!!!! You want to remember how you took it out because it will reassemble the exact opposite way that you took it out! Twist, Turn, Jiggle, Shimmiyyyyy!!!! A few "XXXX's" will be required too!

Once you get that out, you'll need to break it down to inspect the cat. At this point I would suggest just removing it and put a D-plate instead.

If it still runs like poo after all this, I'd recommend rebuilding the carb's. There's only a few plastic pieces (air filter?) and a few more bolts that hold the carb rack in at this point Maybe just do it while you have everything apart anyway. If you know its never been done it may be time for it anyway.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
    Last edited by mrtinker; 07-05-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: More info...

Quote Originally Posted by mrtinker View Post
    Its in the big "s" shaped pipe that uses two rubber couplings to connect it in series with the exhaust system. The lower rubber couppling is located next to a hull "wall" that separates the engine from the muffler components.

Be aware!!!! You want to remember how you took it out because it will reassemble the exact opposite way that you took it out! Twist, Turn, Jiggle, Shimmiyyyyy!!!! A few "XXXX's" will be required too!

Once you get that out, you'll need to break it down to inspect the cat. At this point I would suggest just removing it and put a D-plate instead.

If it still runs like poo after all this, I'd recommend rebuilding the carb's. There's only a few plastic pieces (air filter?) and a few more bolts that hold the carb rack in at this point Maybe just do it while you have everything apart anyway. If you know its never been done it may be time for it anyway.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
    ok sweet as thanks mate

ill have a look at that cat converter when i get a chance.... whats a d plate??

yea i am thinking and assuming there is a fuel problem just doenst make sense that it runs right on flush but not in the water..

also i will be needing new engine mounts it is shaking pretty bad, i got a quote from a local boat shop and the want AU$185 each engine/ motor mount which is a rip would anyone be aqble to get me a quote and see if it is cheaper in America??

Like wfo mentioned already... check the cat... Theres a good chance that its yucked up! also have you checked your intake grate and made sure nothings stuck in there like a bag,twig, rock etc... If these issues are coming up once on the water this is where i would look first! Best of luck!!!

+1
    I've just finished fixing an XLT that had the #3 carb internal filter clogged with crystal like granules and also globs of goo. It also ran great out of water, and for a few seconds in the water until that cyl ran out of fuel. Seems like lots of fuel problems nowdays with ethanol in most fuels. This boats carbs looked great except for corrosion on the fuel pump rubber gaskets (not even where the fuel should be at) and the edges of the fuel pump cavity.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mickgpr View Post
    where abouts is that located in the pipe??

Let me put a caution on this one, because this may not be the problem. In the USA, we have catalytic converters due to emission standards that Yamaha wanted to work within. They wanted some bragging rights because they installed converters before anyone else to actually exceed standards.

I do not believe that catalytic converters were put in boats shipped to Australia. I think they came from the factory with "D" plates. I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information