Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak

Oil Leak

Trying to find an oil leak on a 98 GTI 720 motor. This is the wife's ski. the leak has been there for about a year now and I am tired of cleaning the hull out every couple of weeks. Anyone got any idea as to where to start looking.This ski is completely stock and still has the oil pump in it.

Thanks, ybnormal
    jeffrey

+1

Cool

check hose clamp on oil return line it under exh. manifold AND have you been over filling oil tank?

later cd

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Yes, if you fill the tank over about 3/4 full oil will leak out of the vent. Check the 3/8" oil lines going to and from the engine. A swift finger under each connection should reveal the leak.

You guys both nailed it right on the head. Leaking at both return lines and I do have to much in the tank. MY BAD.

Thanks Again, ybnormal

+1
    You are playing with a loaded gun. I would remove the oil pump and run premix. These things fail all the time and you will never know when it does untill its to late. Check the lines on the pump itself after a while they start to break down. also check the line that runs to the bottom of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB View Post
    You are playing with a loaded gun. I would remove the oil pump and run premix. These things fail all the time and you will never know when it does untill its to late. Check the lines on the pump itself after a while they start to break down. also check the line that runs to the bottom of the case.
    Why remove the oil pump??? I've never known one to fail!! Or even read about one failing! Agree check lines but don't remove it!

Quote Originally Posted by diver2694 View Post
    Why remove the oil pump??? I've never known one to fail!! Or even read about one failing! Agree check lines but don't remove it!
    I just had a castostrophic engine failure due to a seized oil pump. It was not a good experrience! $3,000 dollars later I find out that I cant remove the oil pump becasue it is a 951 D.I. Now I have to keep tabs on the oil pump all the time. On my carb 951 I have removed and gone to premix- No headaches there!

I agree with Diver. These rarely fail; I didn't say never. I feel it's more likely you will have a friend "help you out" by refilling your ride. Then boom.

+1
    Guys oil pumps fail, it is a fact of life. Many, Many pumps.
    I would not trust any pump over 5 years old if you are you are asking for trouble.
    You can check the output by following the procedure in the manual but that is still not a guarantee.

They are a wearable item that is used very little (summertime) and then stored for long periods of time and then asked to perform at 100%.

My experience 5 years and either change with a new one or go premix.

I have had two go out through the years so I learned my lesson.

I killed my 920 because I would not listen. Guess what a set of pistons and a lot of money later I went premix.

Oil pumps are cheap insurance.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    check the seam that runs around the tank...the top and bottom of the tank are glued together and will leak at this seam. run your finger around the seam and check for oil.

then, either get a new tank, clean and seal the existing one, or just don't fill it over the seam for a while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information