Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 GR1200R-Pull the Plug and swim off?

Hello, I'm a newbe here and found this site looking for help. Yes, I followed up on a classified No, I didn't do a compression test and just took the sellers word that they were ok. Took the skis out, the 1998 did ok, minor carb problems and porposing, but been following your threads on this. But the GPR ran the typical 30 mph with no top end. Thought it was the Cat, did the D plate thing, thought I had this one, then took it out and no difference. Read a few more threads, then decided to have the local dealer look at it. His finding; #1 cylinder had 0 psig compression, also apparently the good ole boys that sold it to me half azz and put a new pistion into a badly scarred cylinder#3. So, the dealer mechanic (Eastern KY) quotes $3K-$4K to get me taking care of, but after asking what he recommends; he said to pull the plug and swim off. He also says, skis this old will continue to be a pain.

There, I accept the Dumb Azz award. Is it worth my time and effort to find a top end kit (say ebay or any suggestions) getting parts and grease all over my cloths and garage, along with a few bloody nuckles? Or should I pull the plug as suggested and just get a new ski? New skis are expensive and the money I spent is water over the dam. So, I would like to here or pointed to a good thread from you guys that have walked this road before. Thanks. Great Site.

welcome to the forum, and WOW! sorry to hear about this scam! This kind of crap is happening everywhere, and I can`t stress enough "buyer beware"
    water under the dam... ok...

at this point, nothing can be trusted and I would recommend a total tear down if for nothing else to look at what could be more trouble down the road...

it`s your call, no lie that it will cost between 2-2.5 K to do it up right and a few more $$$ for incidentals and getting the hull up to par...

option> sell/part out and shop smarter and def water test the craft...
    option 2 > repair craft with used, but then continue to worry more and ride less
    option 3 > do whats necc to repair correctly and keep ski for a few years...

+1
    +1

2000' GP1200R
    1999' XL1200LTD

Wow, I feel for you dude! Just giving my .02 worth. We really love having the ski's but its hard to justify $100/day in gas+oil to go to the lake anymore. Add the fact that the kids are getting older and doing their own thing.... All that being said.... Knowing I have done all the work and when they are running as fast or faster and than any newer ski on the lake, thats when we take pride in owning them.

Understanding the mechanical devices and limitations are key to keeping them in good working order. Like knowing that salt water is very detrimental to all the components and its necessary to flush them well afterward. Some other hard learned lessons are listed in this forum.... Maybe thats a good topic for the moderators to consider .... like what happens when parts are loose or rubber exhaust couplings installed backwards or why to do..."things a certin way" is key to keeping these boats up.

Knowing what I do now about these ski's makes owning them alot easier. I think they are a wonderful play toy but you have to know how to work on them to understand them. Even if you buy a new one it will be a necessity unless you can afford to have the dealer/stealer do all of the maintenance... and even then who's to say that one bolt the mechanic forgot to torque down will be an issue he will warranty later?

I know how you feel and wish you luck with whatever your decision. Just know that if you invest the time and $$$ (parts) there are plenty of people on this forum that can help you too.

Good Luck!

+1
    If your worried about grease on your clothes then sell it and buy a new one and pay someone to maintain it.

Most of us owners here keep a close eye on things, rebuild when they blow, and know our skis pretty well.

If you want to put forth the time to learn these skis,research, read,rebuild,and learn about them its allot cheaper than buying new and being at the mercy of a dealer. Also much more rewarding.

I bought a gpr not knowing anything about 2 strokes or skis(just general car mechanical knowledge ), and had a loss of compression after 10 hours of riding, I chose to get dirty, learn and rebuild, and I'm quite happy with my decision. Riding a ski that you've rebuilt the correct way is rewarding and more cost effective. But takes reading research and trial and error. Search through my build thread and rebuild thread and you'll see what's involved.

Were here to help if you decide to fix it.

Sent from my Incredible using tapatalk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgreg View Post
    Hello, I'm a newbe here and found this site looking for help. Yes, I followed up on a classified No, I didn't do a compression test and just took the sellers word that they were ok. Took the skis out, the 1998 did ok, minor carb problems and porposing, but been following your threads on this. But the GPR ran the typical 30 mph with no top end. Thought it was the Cat, did the D plate thing, thought I had this one, then took it out and no difference. Read a few more threads, then decided to have the local dealer look at it. His finding; #1 cylinder had 0 psig compression, also apparently the good ole boys that sold it to me half azz and put a new pistion into a badly scarred cylinder#3. So, the dealer mechanic (Eastern KY) quotes $3K-$4K to get me taking care of, but after asking what he recommends; he said to pull the plug and swim off. He also says, skis this old will continue to be a pain.

There, I accept the Dumb Azz award. Is it worth my time and effort to find a top end kit (say ebay or any suggestions) getting parts and grease all over my cloths and garage, along with a few bloody nuckles? Or should I pull the plug as suggested and just get a new ski? New skis are expensive and the money I spent is water over the dam. So, I would like to here or pointed to a good thread from you guys that have walked this road before. Thanks. Great Site.
    How much you want for it?

This sucks. It is really a risk to buy a ski you don't know the history of. You just never know. Most of the people on greenhulk are really awesome and would never take advantage of you. However, I got completely ripped off by a member of this forum once with a similar story. Live and learn.

I would choose one of Andy's options.

Don't sell the ski to Lee unless you want to read a post about how he can only get it to 70 MPH a week from now.

Thanks guys! I have chosen to get dirty. I here you FIVESPEEDSTEED, I'VE Gotta start some where if I want to learn. By the way 800AMSOIL4U has jump in here and helped me out with the compression problem. Next is to get some help from ONSIDE BILL on the Carbs. You guys have already saved me $$$$ and put some hope back into this deal. No sell yet! Wan't you guys to read a success story rather than a scam story! I'll be in touch.

Cool! I suggest to start a build thread in the yamaha "projects" forum so you can have all your questions, answers, and results all in one nice tidy thread so others can follow, guide if needed, and comment on your progress...
    Happy wrenching, time to get dirty!

+1
    If you are already working with OsideBill, then you are on the right track. The LAST people that you want working on your craft are dealerships. They are in it for the money, period. If by chance they make your life easier, well OK.

There is some real local talent out there as far as these water craft are concerned. If you stay on Greenhulk long enough, you will find out who they are. They are the ones who are going to help you by building a better, safer craft.... and you will get it done cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information