Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

POLARIS MSX 150 Greenish Oil, Temperature light on, Won't go past idle, Coolant Bott

Hi,

I have a 2004 Polaris MSX 150. I purchased the ski basically as a parts ski because the previous owners towed the ski behind a boat with the drain plugs unplugged and flooded out the whole engine compartment. I brought the ski to get repaired and after over a year and $3700 redoing the engine in the repair shop I finally got the ski back and all I had to do was install the IMAP sensor, Airbox, and Coolant Bottle. The place I had the repairs done is hours away from my house, so not having to go back there would help. After installing those 3 things on I brought the ski out and when started it went into Limp Mode and the Temperature light came on and was stuck in idle. I opened up the engine compartment to check the coolant, and the coolant bottle was empty, and there was a little water in the bottom of the hull. I disconnected the battery to try and reset the computer, and I tried filling the coolant bottle with water. When I poured water in the coolant bottle the bottle would just empty out immediately. I tried with over a gallon of water. A week later I had some major health problems to deal with which prevented me from figuring out more of what's wrong with the ski. This year I now checked the ski, and I find that the oil is greenish with coolant or water, and i am not getting fire in one of my spark plugs. If there is anyone who can help or give me some advice of what might be the problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scazenav View Post
    Hi,

I have a 2004 Polaris MSX 150. I purchased the ski basically as a parts ski because the previous owners towed the ski behind a boat with the drain plugs unplugged and flooded out the whole engine compartment. I brought the ski to get repaired and after over a year and $3700 redoing the engine in the repair shop I finally got the ski back and all I had to do was install the IMAP sensor, Airbox, and Coolant Bottle. The place I had the repairs done is hours away from my house, so not having to go back there would help. After installing those 3 things on I brought the ski out and when started it went into Limp Mode and the Temperature light came on and was stuck in idle. I opened up the engine compartment to check the coolant, and the coolant bottle was empty, and there was a little water in the bottom of the hull. I disconnected the battery to try and reset the computer, and I tried filling the coolant bottle with water. When I poured water in the coolant bottle the bottle would just empty out immediately. I tried with over a gallon of water. A week later I had some major health problems to deal with which prevented me from figuring out more of what's wrong with the ski. This year I now checked the ski, and I find that the oil is greenish with coolant or water, and i am not getting fire in one of my spark plugs. If there is anyone who can help or give me some advice of what might be the problem.
    first off, I hope you are healthy and better than before!

I would definetely take it back to that shop and have them test the closed loop coolant system. Hell you spent TONS of money to have the ski fixed, and apparently they didn't do their job. Obviously water is getting into the oil somehow, either through water pump, headgasket, oil tank, etc

Thanks! How would you go about testing the closed loop coolant system? Is that the best place to start in this scenario? I know it was terrible what they did to me, but being that they don't make polaris pwc anymore they were the only place in the nearest 5 hours away from my house. Also, this was last summer and now basically makes a year and they said that nothing will be covered any longer. Honestly I don't feel like going through the headache of dealing with them or driving that far to get it worked on.

+1
    Thanks! How would you go about testing the closed loop coolant system? Is that the best place to start in this scenario? I know it was terrible what they did to me, but being that they don't make polaris pwc anymore they were the only place in the nearest 5 hours away from my house. Also, this was last summer and now basically makes a year and they said that nothing will be covered any longer. Honestly I don't feel like going through the headache of dealing with them or driving that far to get it worked on.
    wow, I would take them to court! It sounds like they ripped you off!

I think a compression test would be the first starting point. That will tell you if the engine is healthy, and also if the headgasket is blown or not.

Is there any visable coolant leaks inside the hull ? It could be possible that one of the coolant hoses has ruptured (thus your coolant resevoir emptying so quickly)

A leak down tester kit would pressure test the cooling system, and find any internal leaks.

would the ruptured coolant hose cause water to get into the oil tank? Also would that put the ski into LIMP mode? That was the place who worked on its original thought over the phone.

+1
    would the ruptured coolant hose cause water to get into the oil tank? Also would that put the ski into LIMP mode? That was the place who worked on its original thought over the phone.
    I know there is at least one coolant hose that could rupture, which would cause coolant to spill into the hull (pink color). If water is mixing with the oil and you see it on the dipstick (or creamy oil inside the oil tank) the oil tank itself could be the problem. However I don't think this is your case because you said your coolant resevoir is empty. It is going into limp mode probably because the engine is overheating.

Do you have to RUN the engine to make the coolant resevoir empty, or does it empty as soon as you poor in the coolant?

I think a simple compression test and this point will tell you a lot. Look down the cylinder holes (with spark plugs removed) and inspect the pistons. You should NOT see any metal flakes or shiny looking pieces. Also check for water/coolant in the cylinders. If you see coolant down there, the headgask has cracked and will need to be replaced.

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it. No the engine does not need to be running in order for the reservoir to empty. It empties almost as fast as I can pour it in.

+1
    Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it. No the engine does not need to be running in order for the reservoir to empty. It empties almost as fast as I can pour it in.
    That doesn't seem normal....are you sure the resevoir doesn't have a hole in it? what about the hose coming from the resevoir ?

No, there is no hole in the reservoir; nor the hose coming from the reservoir.

+1
    No, there is no hole in the reservoir; nor the hose coming from the reservoir.
    ok, I am thinking bad water pump seal ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information