Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Miami to the Exumas on SeaDoos - The True Story

Here's a preview of what we saw when we arrived in the Exumas. I'm working on an hour long video that shows each leg of the trip along with the places we stayed. But, this short vid is probably what everyone will want to see the most:

Overall the trip was incredible. But as I posted on our Facebook page, for every beautiful camera shot we got, there's an equally painful bump, bruise, or gash to go along with it. Still, the memories and stories we came back with made it all worth it.

I can't lie, the look one people's faces when they saw us was half the fun of this trip. At Bimini people are somewhat intrigued when they see us, but at Nassau and the Exumas that intrigue turns into complete disbelief and awe. People had a hard time believing that we had come all that way on such tiny vessels. They kept asking us where the "mother ship" was and I'd just point to Jeff's jet boat and say "You're looking at it". Each time we stopped somewhere it was the same thing. At first they wouldn't believe us, but once they saw the extra fuel cans and the dry bags strapped to our vessels they realized we were telling the truth. Word traveled down the Exuma chain and everywhere we went yacht captains would buy us shots and we'd hear people say "Hey it's the Sea-Doo guys". We told our story about 40 times and it never got old seeing reactions we got.

Our route consisted of doing Miami to Bimini to Chub Cay (roughly 150 miles) in one day. As far as I know we're the first to do so on PWC's and there's definitely a reason for that; Day one was pretty much hell. Miami to Bimini wasn't too bad, we made it in less than 2 hours. It took forever to clear customs because of some large yachts that had arrived just before us. Once we cleared we refueled and headed right back out. We were hoping for glass smooth waters between Bimini and Chub, but instead we got 95 miles of constant 2-4 ft chop. For about 70 miles the water depth never drops below 18 ft between Bimini and Chub but there's no land in sight anywhere. After about 65 miles we stopped and refilled our tanks using our auxiliary cans. Trying to do this while bobbing in chop is easier said than done. One splash of saltwater over the top of my RXT could've ended the trip. Fortunately we didn't have any major problems and an hour later we were moving again.

Late that afternoon we began to approach the "Tongue of the Ocean". The tongue drops from 18 ft to its maximum depth of over 6,000 feet deep in a 1000 yard span. However, the initial drop takes place in less than 100 yards. When we approached the tongue the sky quickly turned from bright and sunny to dark and gray. We hadn't seen any other vessels or land for hours, but just before the tongue's edge we saw a large sail boat anchored a couple miles South and a very large freighter anchored a few miles to the North. It was obvious to us that both vessels were anchored for the night and wished to avoid entering the Tongue that windy afternoon. An extremely ominous feeling set in, and something inside told us that this was NOT a place for watercraft. We didn't have much choice at that point so we continued on anyway.

Chub Cay is roughly 15 miles from the Tongue's edge and for the next hour we battled greatly increasing wave sizes and exhaustion. I run 5 days a week and play ice hockey, but even with being in fairly good shape, my legs were shaking and I was near collapse when we finally arrived at Chub. Fortunately the Chub Cay Marina had a wonderful fuel dock setup for us. It's so advanced that it has a 50,000 gallon capacity, 10,000 of which are below the pump line and are inaccessible by fuel pump. The only way to get to the last 10,000 gallons is to walk to the fuel tank and siphon gas out through a hose connected at the bottom, and then cart gas cans back to the dock. So that's what we did, we siphoned gas into our auxiliary tanks, carried our tanks back to the boats, then siphoned that gas into our watercraft, and then repeated the process. After the longest day we've ever had on the water, this was definitely not what we had hoped for. I could go on about Chub Cay but I'll hold off...

So that was day 1. Day 2 is when things get interesting. To be continued....

+1
    Awesome.

+1
    Wow!! Looking forward to more.

+1
    Beyond belief, excellent footage....awesome...

+1
    Wow!!!

+1
    Kick ASS Thank you for that great video!!!!!

+1
    Very Cool.

+1
    Really?

+1
    This trip was absolutly insane. After the first day I was seriously questioning if what we were attempting was a good idea.... and it definitely was! I said this about going to Bimini last year but it bears repeating... this trip was a trip of a life time and what we saw and experienced is something all of us will remember for the rest of our lives.

+1
    How about part 2 of the story??

Also, I like the GoPro on a stick! Where did you get it? Did you make it?

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information