help were do I start with repairs on my MSX150? Flipped upside down...

Just put my msx's 110 & 150 in the water for the first time this season on 7/2/11 both machines ran 100% till I made the mistake of letting my son and nephew take the 150 out, despite my warnings to them not to do stunts they did any ways and they flipped it.

they managed to flip it back get it running & bring it back, they had a though time starting it ran rough and stalled no power and ck engine light was on.

this is as much as I could get out of them., they could not tell me if it was running when flipped how long it was upside down and how far under it went they did not even tell me about it for over an hour.

Upon removing the seat there was oil everywhere, took the hose from inter cooler to turbo off and it was full of oil, then took hose with sensor off of throttle body and sensor and throttle body full of milky oil.

Seems to me that both oil and water got in to intake, it was late and never tried to start it.

now where do I start? Inter cooler? turbo? sensors? could have it bent a rod? are the electronics sealed enough to be submerged for a period of time?

Any help in getting this machine up and going asap would be appreciated, short season up here in north east , the machine is 3 hours away and no servicing dealers near by.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, you start by cleaning all the oil and water gunk out of the intake, intercooler, and anywhere else it got into.

Cover the engine air intake and wash out the oil from the hull too. Simple Green or another degreaser plus some scrubbing and lots of water to flush the hull out. I tip the nose of my trailer up high to help drain the hull after interior washing.

Change the oil, and be sure to read about the correct oil level for these engines.

There are two sensors in the intake that are not happy with oil contamination. You may need to replace both of them.

Hopefully liquid water did not get into the combustion chambers. Check cylinder compression with throttle wide open and spark plugs out. Both cylinders should report the same compression numbers.

Recovering a Weber engine from inversion makes for a lot of time to get it cleaned up, checked out, and replace sensors as needed.

My signature links have some useful info, including upgrades and options to reduce the oil getting into the air intake system.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Well, you start by cleaning all the oil and water gunk out of the intake, intercooler, and anywhere else it got into.

Cover the engine air intake and wash out the oil from the hull too. Simple Green or another degreaser plus some scrubbing and lots of water to flush the hull out. I tip the nose of my trailer up high to help drain the hull after interior washing.
    Scrubbing sounds like a good project for your son and nephew

Thanks for the info, going to bring sky back this weekend to work on, as far as cleaning the inter cooler will it need to come out? or could I run degreaser through it still in place? is there a drain for the inter cooler? will the turbo need to be cleaned as well? how can I reset the ck engine light? and as far as parts were is the best source for polaris water crafts? thanks again

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It is possible to clean the intercooler with it still in the hull. Need to construct something to pump degreaser and then fresh water through the air tract. Use a big blower (leaf blower?) afterwards to get the clean water out.

Be careful as the interior of the inter cooler is somewhat fragile to rough cleaning.

Clean the turbo charger? I am not sure what would be the best answer, so I will leave that for others to reply.

My signature links include a list of Part Sources.

I think the check engine light will go out by itself when all the problems have been corrected.

Ok brought shy back and took inter cooler out, full of milky crap, was able to brake seal free at the inter cooler flange but having difficult time loosening the brass plug on opposite side of inter cooler I dont want to damage the flange, in there any tricks on removing the inner core? and as far as cleaning out the intake can I spay it down with carb or brake clean and suck it out with a fluid evacuator or do I need to take it out? hope to be back in the water in a week or so.
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post
    Ok brought shy back and took inter cooler out, full of milky crap, was able to brake seal free at the inter cooler flange but having difficult time loosening the brass plug on opposite side of inter cooler I dont want to damage the flange, in there any tricks on removing the inner core? and as far as cleaning out the intake can I spay it down with carb or brake clean and suck it out with a fluid evacuator or do I need to take it out? hope to be back in the water in a week or so.
    Thanks
    do not spray anything down the intake, u might damage more sensors.

Thread Information