Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 virage 800DI Fuel pump issues

so it died randomly like running out of gas then would barely act like it would try to fire hit here and there, so i checked for fuel pressure barely alittle drissle coming out of the shrader valve so i went in for a few hours came out starts again.
    if it was the regulator thats common to go out, are they random like this (work not work) i wouldnt think so.?
    thanks

+1
    If the regulator has come loose and fallen out then there will be little or no fuel pressure. I have the same ski and just replaced the fuel pump. The pump motor in mine had failed so I tried replacing it with a automotive pump that was similar, I had to remove the regulator that came with the new pump and forgot to put the polaris regulator in, without the regulator I had zero fuel pressure when testing at the schrader valve with a pressure gauge.

Also I would not recommend going the way I did with a automotive pump, it only lasted a day and then stopped. It may have been defective, but for the extra work having to remove the pump for a second time the savings was not worth it.

I got a new pump from Polaris Parts Pit Stop, they were the best price I could find
    http://www.polarispartspitstop.com/p.../0/0/cart.aspx

ya i guess its not the reg because it works then stops then works maybe the pumps going out or something

runs great today starts up revs etc. idk why the pump works then doesnt i guess next time it messis up ill test signal to pump

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sr240 View Post
    runs great today starts up revs etc.

idk why the pump works then doesn't. I guess next time it messes up I'll test signal to pump
    My concern would be that even when it is 'working' that the fuel pump may not be putting out the full pressure and flow it is supposed to. That could lead to a lean fuel delivery even though it seems to be OK at that moment.

Better to dig into it and make sure it is right, rather than risk damage to the engine.

ya im going to monitor fuel pressure.

but youve never heard of this before?

+1
    The original problem I had was no fuel pressure, after removing the pump assembly I tapped on the pump and it started working. I replaced it anyway, we go out sometimes as far as 5 miles into the Gulf of Mexico I just couldn't trust it.

+1
    ya im going to monitor fuel pressure.

but you've never heard of this before?
    It can happen.

Others have found various causes for unreliable fuel pump operation. It could be a bad electrical connection at the EMM, or even inside the EMM. Or it could be a failing pump motor (most likely cause).

My suggestion is to replace the entire fuel pump. That way you know it is good.

ya i will first im going to wire the pump to a switch so i can eliminate the emm and then ill know for sure computer or pump

+1
    ya i will first im going to wire the pump to a switch so i can eliminate the emm and then ill know for sure computer or pump
    Wire the Brown wire to ground through the switch.

Do not apply battery power to the Brown wire.

Pump is supplied by constant battery voltage through a fuse or circuit breaker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information