+1

Carb(s) loses prime

Over the 4th of July weekend, my 1994 WaveRaider has started losing it's prime. I don't have a primer but I do have a small gas squirt bottle and I can shoot a shot of premix into the carbs and it fires right up. At first, it'll run funny and then as the carb(s) get gas, it starts to run normally.

Out on the water, I have to be gentle with the throttle because it'll die out and then I have to restart. If I do it just right, I can get it to go and then WOT is no problem and it runs just as good as ever. After this initial time, I can stop and shut the engine off and it'll restart with no problem. Going WOT after a restart is also no problem.

HOWEVER, if the ski sits for a while, (30 mins or more) it is hard to start and I have to feather the throttle again to get up to speed. If it sits overnight, I have to prime the carb(s) again with the squirt bottle or it won't start.

I've had carb problems before (stuck needles and seats that I had to clean) from periods of non-use without Stabil in the gas but I've never had these priming issues. What causes this and how do I fix it. I know a primer kit would bandage up the problem but I'd really like to fix whats wrong. Thanks for reading my long post.

Danny

BTW, I've owned the ski since new and this past weekend was the first time its ever done this.

+1
    I would check your check valve for the tank make sure it's not leaking the pressure out of the tank. Do you get a hiss when opening the tank up after it's sit for a while? Often this can be that and or could indicate also a rich condition if the ski is flooded ..of which get's harder to start when you get heat soak...

+1
    M, I just checked and the Raider tank was so pressurized that it practically blew the cap off!

Does this pressure help keep the carbs primed? The reason that I ask is because my '97 GP1200 lost prime one time last summer on the lake and we couldn't get it started so we had to tow the GP in. I just checked and the GP1200's tank and it is not pressurized.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds to me like your way over due for a good rebuild on the carbs. My XLT was hard to start for the last couple of seasons. After doing the rebuild it fires over like a champ. Check valves dry out/ crack and the little filter screens get gummed up. If you plan on keeping it for a while, it would be a smart investment and will save you some aggravation.

+1
    I opened the gas cap again yesterday to add a 5 gal can of gas and the pressure actually did blow the cap off! Wow! That tank really pressurizes!

Anyway, as long as the carbs have gas, the ski starts right up just like brand new. This is something that has gone wrong since the Memorial Day weekend. Back in May, I started the ski and it was normal. I didn't start it again until the 4th weekend and that is when this "coming unprimed" issue showed up. I guess it is time for a rebuild of the carbs.

Where is the best place to buy rebuild kits? I know that I should buy genuine Mikuni kits.

+1
    I'm pretty sure Jerry sells them here on the on line store. Give them a call or email them if you dont see them, they can track them down for you.

+1
    I went to the top of this page and searched the GreenHulk OE Replacement Parts Store. Carb repair kit-$147 !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    I went to the top of this page and searched the GreenHulk OE Replacement Parts Store. Carb repair kit-$147 !
    I dont think you have the right item, I only paid $47ish per kit. Could that be for three of them? Like I said before, email them and they will help you out.

Thread Information