Thread: 2000 RX Issues!

Ulitimate Newb

Unhappy 2000 RX Issues!

Howdy!!! I believe that I have an issue or two with the wife's ski. I did a top end on it a couple of weeks ago. Rebuilt the carbs. Pop off was good. Leak tests were good for both carb and engine. Changed the wear ring, fuel and oil filters and all the fuel lines.

Here is the issues I'm having. Mid range throttle was bogging down. It was suggested to me to look at sticking rave valves. The mag rave was sticking. I tried to start the thing yesterday (went riding Monday but didn't clean it or flush it that night) and it wouldn't start. The wife ran over a shell bed when she was putting it on the trailer. I looked at the impellor and the wear ring was ripped all up and stuck. I cleared it out and tried to start again. It wouldn't. I took the plugs out and the PTO plug was wet with fuel and dark milk chocolate color. The Mag plug was bone dry and gray ashy. I did a compression check and have 65 for the Mag and 125 for the PTO side. I pulled the head and here are the pics. The carb settings are 1 1/2 turns out for both on the low and closed on the high.

I am guessing that I was running lean on the front? I did pull the plugs about 5 times during break in for this new top end and they were looking good all the way up to this point.

This is getting expensive!!! I have ordered another top end kit, wear ring and needles with seats. Should be here by Friday. The cylinders are at the machine shop now.
    Any suggestions or comments???? Please feel free to flame me if I am being stupid someplace. The wife is not happy that her ski is down again!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTO side.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	244623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mag side.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	244624  

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Find that "lean" issue or you'll be at square one....carb/crank seal?

Ulitimate Newb
    I put new carb seals in when I put everything back together. I leaked checked the engine and it was good. Not saying that I either did it right or that something happened during break-in. When I replace everything again, I will do another leak check for both the engine and the carbs. Silly question, I have been researching the heck out of the problem. If I pinched an o-ring for the head bolts, would that cause it or would that have been caught on leak check? Also, someone mentioned to put silicone in the holes with the o-rings? I put ALL the gaskets in dry. Should I have put something else on them as well? I appreciate your help!!!

Ulitimate Newb
    Found my lean condition. The Mag carb quit pumping gas and oil. There is also water in my oil. Yanked out the carbs and the needle was sticking on the mag carb. Pulled the motor and removed the cylinders. They are at the machine shop now. Pulled the pump for the wear ring and the impellor is toast. Top end kit, wear ring and needles and seats will be here tomorrow. New impellor will be here friday or saturday. I think that it was a bad bad day Monday. BUT it could have been so much worse. Always look on the bright side. Will leak check the motor when assembled. Leak check and pop off carbs again when assembled. I don't know how water could have gotten in my oil though. When I pulled the oil line off the pump, water came out of it before oil did. I drained about a cup before it was all oil. I still don't trust it so I will drain all of it but am still perplexed. Anyone else have that problem before? I think I will try to pressure test the tank and lines but am thinking of just pre mix.

Thread Information