Unhappy 01 GP1200R only reaching low 40's and 5000 RPM'S

Hey everyone I'm having some troubles with my 01 GP1200R. Here a quick synopsis, last summer the oil line came loose of carb 3 so I lost the 3rd cylinder. After replacing the cylinder, piston, and installing a oil block off, Im only reaching low 40's and 5000 RPM's. It bogs down durning take off, when it planes the RPM's go up and down by about 350. It also seems to drop RPM's, more then what I remember, if I hit any waves. My 1200 was in my shop the whole time so it wasnt weathered. The only mod is a D-Plate and Chip. I have also replaced the spark plugs. Any suggestions? This one is driving me crazy!

I am having the same problem with one of my GP1200R engines on my XR1800 Jet Boat. If it is bogging at take off, you might want to tighten up your low-end screw. You should start with one turn out and adjust from there.

without installing T-handles.... how can I test my carb out without putting it all back together after adjusting? I can get around the engine pretty good good, but these carbs are a new ball game.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatdave View Post
    If it is bogging at take off, you might want to tighten up your low-end screw.
    .... and if you think that you are not getting enough fuel, then you can partially choke to help deliver more fuel to the carbs on the bottom end. Of course, you will have to take the choke off when you get up to speed.

When I say its bogging down Im mean when it reachs 5000 rpms, thats all she wrote. When I leave the choke on it floods it. It take alot of power and rpm's to pull it out the whole and since it wont reach its full potintial.... it feels bogged down. It doesnt matter if Im going 10 or top out at 40, 5000 rpms is all the power I have.

check to see if the powervalves are cycling, plenty of threads on that

Powervalves looked good however I have a new dilemma..... Ive taken it out a few times, make some changes and then try to see if it worked. Ive always checked my compression and they been about 120. This time I have 30 psi on the last cylinder but the it is moving great. When I took the spark plugs out the last plug looked nearly brand new still. This leads me to believe that my carb is clogged up and not allowing fuel into the 3rd cylinder. Thinking I have blown piston rings......... Does this sound likely?

Prob have more damage than just bad rings if the compression dropped that quickly. Time to pull the head and look. Everything else you need you can find here. Good luck.

Just had the same problem with my 2001 gpr. Got it on the trailer & found that the #1 piston had been beaten in to a pulp. Just starting an engine rebuild & diag to find the cause.

Thread Information