Thread: Greenish blue?

Greenish blue?

Ok, I'm new to having ski's I bought 2 94 sl650's 1 runs, 1 has this grrenish-blue grease/oil? coming out of the cylinders. I pulled the plugs because the starter would turn the engine over about 3 times and stop I figured something in the cylinders. without the plugs it would shoot this well into the air, I finally got this beast running and it just poured out the back of the ski . So what I'm asking is what and where this came from ideas? I'm assuming its some type of failed seal, if thats the case I need to know what needs the grease because I would assume something was using it lol. Thanks for any help, if anyone knowledgeable would like to walk send me a big what to service, where and all I'd really appreciate it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

My guess is that there was a large quantity of 2-stroke oil inside the engine. Why would be the question.

Normally these engines only have a thin film of oil inside the crank case. As the engine runs some of the oil gets blown into the combustion chamber and burned with the fuel. At the same time a dribble of replacement oil is provided by the oil pump from the oil tank.

I suggest you check over the oil pump system to determine if it is intact.

Check cylinder compression. Cranking the engine with liquid inside can cause hydraulic lock, which can literally bend or crack internal engine parts.

Compression testing may or may not reveal any damage, but it is worth doing on both engines as a baseline measurement. Always remove all spark plugs and hold throttle wide open when checking compression.

Look through my signature links for more info regarding common maintenance and recommended upgrades.

It is worthwhile to do the maintenance first, before you start riding your machines. It is possible to badly damage the engine in minutes if the carburetors, fuel system or the oiling system need attention.

I'm wondering myself why and I was hoping someone else would think maybe 2-stroke oil, I'm fighting a fuel issue now if I manually feed the carbs it will start, otherwise no luck I was wondering if the oil injection would still be trying to feed, if the fuel pump was to go out? The guy was told it ran but he never could get it to start it would turn over a few times then lock up, and he thought it was the starter. So I'm assuming nothing lol. What are the best bang for your buck upgrades on these skis?

Thanks, I'll be a regular before ya know it!

+1
    The oil pump system is independent of the fuel pump.

You really do need to go over these machines from top to bottom. You don't know the history, nor what state things are currently in.

It is possible someone thought they should add liquid oil to the engine crank case like a four stroke engine.

Or somehow the oil injection system managed to pump or gravity drain a huge amount of oil into the non-running engine...

So do you suggest blocking off the oil pump and pre mixing?

What are the best upgrades for these?

Thanks again

+1
    Oil injection or pre-mix is just a preference.
    If you can put up with the inconvenience of mixing oil every time you pump gas, then big "Yes" pre-mix is the way to go. But if you're like me, just put oil and gas in and ride without the hassle of having additional container or oil measuring jar, etc then oil injection is the answer. Just need to make sure the oil lines are good (not cracked or too hard) and secured.
    There have been number of debates over the two, but neither one has clear advantage over the other.

There're really no "best" upgrades for your skis, just maintenance. Hope these links help.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-750-780-785-s

Awesome, thanks a lot guys!

Ok so the ski runs now, the "greenish blue" was 2 stroke oil. So far all is good, I figure it was just gravity and time that caused it. Thanks again for the help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hottelssss View Post
    Ok so the ski runs now, the "greenish blue" was 2 stroke oil. So far all is good, I figure it was just gravity and time that caused it. Thanks again for the help.
    I think the oil nipples at the carbs have internal pressure check valves that are supposed to prevent gravity driven oil flow. The check valves are supposed to open when the oil pump supplies pressure, and close when the pump stops pumping.

If some valves are stuck open while other valves are working, then you may get uneven oil flow into the engine cylinders.

I suggest you flush out the oil nipples and verify proper operation.

already on it, thanks again.

Thread Information