sucked up clam shells.

the other day i was riding the ski. had 8 hours on it. i was sitting waiting for a place to open up to dock. i had it idling in neutral and some reverse. while in reverse, i guess it was a tad too shallow and the water flow kicked up some mud and clam shells. i could here some shells get kicked through the impeller, looked back and saw the muddyish water stirred up. the noise only lasted a couple of seconds and then went back to normal.

i got it home and flushed it like normal and some mudish water came out for a few seconds and then it was all clear like normal. it sounded and ran fine, so i figured all was well.

i went out on it for an hour today. ran fine, but it seems like i lost a little bit of top end and rpm. only saw a max of 7900 rpm and 68 mph on the gauges. it used to get over 8000rpm. seemed to take longer to go from 50 to max speed too. when i got home i got out a flashlight and inspected the inlet and outlet of the pump. i noticed 3 small clam shells stuck in the outlet after the impeller. i was able to tap them and they came right out. the intake side was clean. i noticed the wear ring had some good scuffs in it. the edges of the impeller were a little rough looking. but then again, i have never looked up in the intake track before, so i can't compare what it looked like before.

now if the weather holds out tomorrow, i will ride it again and see if those 3 small shells at the end of the pump actually made a noticeable difference. this is my first boat, so i just wanted to double check to make sure i didn't fudge anything up. i am hoping its ok because i was at idle the whole time it was picking up those clam shells. any input would be great.

+1
    Shells in the pump would not have helped your RPMs/speed, try it out but your probably up for at least a wear ring.

kinda what i figured. i just ordered a wear ring. if anything, its good to keep one around as a spare.

+1
    been there, done that. Happened to mine ski before I took ownership. My brother was the previous owner and did this, he took it to the dealer and got raped. Too bad I didnt find this site until after he sold it to me, would have only cost him the price of a wear ring and maybe an impeller.

The nicks on your impeller can definately effect performance. for sure need a wear ring. while you got it apart send the impeller to impros. they can remachine and repitch it.

+1
    probably dinged the impeller, I did the same thing once.

rode it again today. saw 70 on the speedo a couple of times. saw 8000 rpm once and 7980-7990 most of the time. i guess those couple of stuck shells did make a difference. i still swear i was seeing over 8000 rpm before though. i weigh 255lbs, so i know that has to hurt some. i just dropped it off today for the 10 hour service, so i assume if anything is bad, they will let me know.

sense i already have this thread, i might as well ask another question. does it hurt anything when you come out of the water and you can hear your pump suck air. for any cars guys here, it sounds like a very loud blow-off valve. i am a big car/motorcycle guy, but a newb for boats. just want to make sure i am not screwing anything up.

+1
    when the pump is out of the water you really want to let off the throttle

+1
    lucky it wasnt a conch shell you suck up. That would of did some damage. When jumping with full throttle is how super charger get damage when it hits the water it will explode some times if I am not mistaken .I was told it happen on SC 4 tec motors .

Thread Information