Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

gas question lol

I just got an 04 rxp last weekend. The SC has already been rebuilt and the ceramic washers replaced. I went to get gas this weekend at the dock and noticed there is only 89 octane available. I looked at a few other marinas where I am and it was the same. Can I just get octane booster for the gas or are those additives bad for the sc?

+1
    I dont think 89 octane would affect a stock ski to bad, just may not run as good as it should.
    The fuel has nothing to do with the SC clutches. Oil does.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I dont think 89 octane would affect a stock ski to bad, just may not run as good as it should.
    The fuel has nothing to do with the SC clutches. Oil does.
    Yeah I agree. I've run it before without any issues. But, when I buy gas on the water, I put some Sta-bil marine in there, it helps keep the fuel fresh.

You will be fine. And don't mess with off the shelf octane boosters. It's nothing but snake oil.

Thanks for the info. I am just starting with the 4 stroke engines and have already learned a bunch from this forum. no doubt I will be making it go faster in the future but right now I want to just enjoy it for a while with the family. Have had some issues with my 2 strokes over the last year annd a half and havent really been able to enjoy the lake. I keep my jet ski up there and was concerned when I couldnt find the premium gas anywhere.

+1
    Drag guys run the minumum octane needed to prevent detonation. Your craft will make more power on 89 than 93, or so I've been repeatedly told. It's all about compression.
    I run 91 (3000ft elevation) in my gsxr1000, and the guys (knowledgeable) on the drag strip run 87. I'll give up the minute power gain for engine longevity though.
    The Sea Doo manual says you can run 87 without problems... not that I would.

89 octane should be fine on the stocker. What causes the SC washers to go bad is the ski hitting rev limiter over time when the pump is out of the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnoc2 View Post
    89 octane should be fine on the stocker. What causes the SC washers to go bad is the ski hitting rev limiter over time when the pump is out of the water.
    You mean like when you jump a wave and still have the throttle pegged and you get that weird sound?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XDAILY View Post
    You mean like when you jump a wave and still have the throttle pegged and you get that weird sound?
    haha yes.

I checked on the sc with where I bought it from and it has been redone to the 2008 spec. I am learning more and more as I read about the 4 stroke jetski motors. I will be doing some mods but probablly not until next year. Blew all my extra cash on buying this one and rebuilding the old 2 stroke. The SC is something I really havent dealt with so I am taking a crash course here. Gonna look at an external intercooler over the winter and a few other things. I am gonna try to get some pics this weekend. so far basically a stock bumble bee yellow. Do jetskis have things like the powercommander I use in my bike?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information