96 700 SLT rebuild

I have just started to do a complete rebuild on my 700, I've just picked up my crankshaft that was rebuilt and put into the crankcase by the rebuilder and will be assembling the top end myself. Any tips would be appreciated as this is my first attempt to do this.

thx

Banned User
    +1
    Do you have a manual? Just be careful, follow the steps in the manual and you should be good to go. Do a leak down test before you install the engine in the ski. Do you have the updated ignition system? Now would be a good time to install it if you don't already have it.

Yes I do have a manual and i do you have the updated ignition system but when the kids screwed the motor they kept trying to turn it over and fried the starter and melted the positve battery cable which inturn melted the ground to the stator. I was going to replace the ground and hope the stator was not fried, what are the chances of that?

Banned User
    +1
    I would guess if you can replace the wire you should be ok. You won't know for sure until you can test it. You can ohm test the stator and see if its still ok.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by waub-watch View Post
    .... melted the positve battery cable which in turn melted the ground to the stator.

I was going to replace the ground and hope the stator was not fried, what are the chances of that?
    If the electrical box metal shell touches the battery positive post it can short and melt the Black stator wire.

Is it possible the stator wire was the one that got hot and melted the red starter wire, rather than the other way around?

In either case, if you replace all the damaged wire then it may be OK.

Note that if the battery did short to the box and cause the Black stator wire damage, the damage may extend inside the stator housing.

no it wasn't the battery. the starter was so fried that it couldn't be rebuilt and I had to buy a new one, the insulation on red cable at the starter was melted right off for a couple of inches. I did an ohm test of the stator when i had it out of the ski and it seemed o.k.

Thread Information