Closed loop cooling 66 v

I have another project that im working on and the engine out of waverunner would be perfect except the cooling. How hard would it be to convert one over to run coolant with a radiator ?. I dont need to cool the exhaust so that wouldnt be an issue..

Well you will need a water pump and a coolant bottle with a pressure cap on it. You'll end up having to use some type of external electric pump, I would guess. Not sure the stator has the output to power an electric pump though.

Personally, I'd just use a snowmobile motor, which will already have a water pump. Or a Polaris domestic PWC motor with a belt driven pump conversion, which has already been done dozens of times. A 1200cc Polaris triple with triple pipes is over [email protected] RPM.

I could belt drive the pump off the back of the motor pretty easy.. 150hp will be all i need with room to spare.. i havent been into one of these engines yet and wasnt sure how much would be involved in keeping the water out of the exhaust.

Wait, are you looking to still use the stock exhaust, just not water cool it? If you are, that's not going to work, as the water not only keeps the aluminum from melting, but it also properly tunes the exhaust system.

Triples would be fine if i could get a set cheap but thats not likely to happen... I may have to find a 4 stroke and start from there.

Like I said before, start with a snowmobile engine...they run steel pipes that are not water cooled.

Do the snowmobile engines have the crank comming out the back like a ski engine or on the side like a motorcycle? I know most of the 2 strokes are pull start which would be a deal breaker .. its worth looking into though..

The snowmobiles have the crank out of the "end"of the motor just like a PWC. The shaft is a smooth shaft though. No splines or keys. An 800 arctic cat (suzuki) motor will get you your 150 hp. The 2010+ models have 162hp. Electric start is an option that can be added, it's fuel injected and the 2009+ years have the engine reverse built into the ecu that runs the motor backwards for reverse. Another thing to mention is that it's a "laydown motor". The intake and the exhaust are on the same side of the motor.

Ill keep looking at all the different options out there. The snow machine would require me to machine the crank for splines or keyway which would just add more expense since I have to be able to attach a hub to the end of it. Thanks for all the info..

Quote Originally Posted by project View Post
    Ill keep looking at all the different options out there. The snow machine would require me to machine the crank for splines or keyway which would just add more expense since I have to be able to attach a hub to the end of it. Thanks for all the info..
    You can have a crank shop install the PWC PTO end on the Polaris snowmobile crank for very little money...might call Indy Specialties out of Minnesota. They specialize in this. You may be able to do this with other brands as well...just not experienced with ditch pickles.

Thread Information