Overhead gel coating???

Pulled my 04 RPX off the lake for the first time this year to pull SC and sent to GH for a rebuild. After I got her home starting looking it over good and found gel coat missing dead bottom just behind handle bars, 3, 2"X3" spots gone showing raw glass. I've found where guys on here have gel coated, but they are working with the hull flipped over. I don't have the time or will to pull the engine and steering to gel coat about a 2 foot wide area 2 feet from the front all the way back. Looking it over good it has pin holes in the gel coat in way to many places front to back about 12 inches wide. I need to gel coat before I put her back in the water after reinstalling SC. Looking for advise on if OVERHEAD spraying or brushing gel coat is possible. Thanks, Xtruckin

Sounds like you have a delamination problem. You will need to make sure the area surrounding the missing gelcoat is good and solid, otherwise you will lose what you have fixed. I personally wouldn't try to fix what you have without flipping it over, but that is up to you.

Make sure you read up on the process; you will need to scuff and clean the bare fiberglass before applying the gelcoat. To build up the thickness quickly, you can mix the gel coat with Cabosil as a thickener to make a paste to fill the low areas using a straight edge. Then you can spray final coats to finalize. The stuff you buy from Gelcote is best as it already has wax mixed in, otherwise you need to mix wax with it or use PVA to allow it to harden properly. Either way, make sure you remove the top layer with acetone before sanding.

+1
    Get the gelcoat.ca kit. It will be plenty to fix that. It is from beaching. I just fixed it on my ski. Easy to do.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Not my area of expertise, but I seem to recall hulls from that year (2004-2005?) had a known problem with delamination. There is more to the repair than just fixing the outer hull. Something about localized pressure/weight from the fuel tank feet or something like that causing point pressure on the outer hull.

I am sure with some searching you can find the relevant threads from the times when this problem was common.

+1
    the owner that had my ski before me did damage on the front edge of the hual and its a good size with spider cracks leaving it to looks really bad want to get it fixed but idk where to start the glass on it is good just need the jell coat on it. and the ski is a lil bit faded so how would it match color wise?
    something i should attempt or ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	244867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	244868

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtruckin View Post
    Pulled my 04 RPX off the lake for the first time this year to pull SC and sent to GH for a rebuild. After I got her home starting looking it over good and found gel coat missing dead bottom just behind handle bars, 3, 2"X3" spots gone showing raw glass. I've found where guys on here have gel coated, but they are working with the hull flipped over. I don't have the time or will to pull the engine and steering to gel coat about a 2 foot wide area 2 feet from the front all the way back. Looking it over good it has pin holes in the gel coat in way to many places front to back about 12 inches wide. I need to gel coat before I put her back in the water after reinstalling SC. Looking for advise on if OVERHEAD spraying or brushing gel coat is possible. Thanks, Xtruckin
    Easy enough job, get yourself a gel coat repair kit, some acetone or a similar solvant for cleaning. Also going to need some glass paper.

Get under there, I recomend wearing a mask, gloves and goggles, also long sleave shirt is A GOOD IDEA.

Give the areas of concern a good rub down with 80 grit paper, also the gel coat around the damaged area should be rubed down but with 120-140 grit paper.

You can use a small orbital sander to save the hard work on your arms if you have one.

Now, you need to get it real clean using the acetone and make sure there is ZERO moisture left in the glass, There is no point repairing over wet glass, it wont last.

Then you can go ahead and mix your gel coat up, initially you can just brush it on to the damaged area. Try to only mix up what you can apply in one layer then leave it to set hard, normally 1-3 hours dependine on tempreture and mix ratio.

Then give it another light rub with 140 and clean again, apply another coat.

At this point, you should have a functional repair, it may not look the best but its sealed the hull back up. If you want to get it back to "new" looking then you will have to add layers of gel and rub it back to untill your happy with the shape then put one very light coat on which you can rub back with light paper then wet and dry and finaly polish.

A little tip, if your going for a perfect finish, when you run back you will most likely get little holes in the gel coat from air getting stuck, instead of trying to fill these by brushing gelcoat over the whole area again, get yourself a small pick or very small screwdriver and use that to ally gel to the holes, that way its much easyer to rub back.

R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wakejumper48 View Post
    the owner that had my ski before me did damage on the front edge of the hual and its a good size with spider cracks leaving it to looks really bad want to get it fixed but idk where to start the glass on it is good just need the jell coat on it. and the ski is a lil bit faded so how would it match color wise?
    something i should attempt or ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	244867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	244868
    You would obviously need to take that rub rail off and then Grind away all the gel coat that has been spider cracked or missing. then Take 80 or equivalent sand paper and smouth out all the rough edges(feather edge). Dont really know by looking at the damage if it needs glass, but if not then just recoat with gel coat start with lower grit like 240 to start sanding the gel coat smooth and then finish off with a 1500 or 2000......... then buff it out.. and buff the remaining hull so it matches. This is a rough run through any questions let me know. Good luck.. Doesn't look that bad!

Thanks for the advise guy's. The past owner of this boat messed the bottom up bad beaching in rocks DEEP scares. Today received the quart of gel coat I ordered from Jamestown Dist., it has wax in it. Area is 18" from bow 17" wide going back to the ride plate. 2/3 of it sanded with 80 grid. After i'm done with 80 will clean and clean again brush 1st coat gel coat. Let sit for 2 hours sand with 120 let sit another 2 hours, sand with 120 and do 3rd coat if all goes well. Plan to finish up with 320 and 600. As stated in orginal post I will doing this over head. PPE will be in full use. Wish me well, unchartered water on this project. Temps in low 80's for the day.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtruckin View Post
    Thanks for the advise guy's. The past owner of this boat messed the bottom up bad beaching in rocks DEEP scares. Today received the quart of gel coat I ordered from Jamestown Dist., it has wax in it. Area is 18" from bow 17" wide going back to the ride plate. 2/3 of it sanded with 80 grid. After i'm done with 80 will clean and clean again brush 1st coat gel coat. Let sit for 2 hours sand with 120 let sit another 2 hours, sand with 120 and do 3rd coat if all goes well. Plan to finish up with 320 and 600. As stated in orginal post I will doing this over head. PPE will be in full use. Wish me well, unchartered water on this project. Temps in low 80's for the day.
    Good luck, sounds like you on the right tracks, its actually not that bad once you get into it. Its all in the prep as well, make sure it is clean, and make sure you have absolutly everything you need before you mix the gel up, last thing you want to do is waste curing time looking for a brush or some rag to wipe something.

Its prob best to just do a small patch first, it sounds as tho you have quite a large area to cover so It might be better to just do a small bit so you get a feel for whats involved before you have a shit load of gel go off on you, me personly would not try and cover all that in one hit, have 2 batches ready to go, mix the first and cover half the area, then mix and apply the second batch. Warm tempretures will make it go off faster.

Have fun R88

Thread Information