05 RXP Stage 2 Possible SC Clutch Problem?

Hey Guys,
    I just recently purchased a used 2005 RXP with a Stage 2 Riva Kit (12hrs), it sat for awhile before i purchased it and the previous owner had it serviced, oil / sparkplugs changed before i bought it. I took it out for the first time saturday and intitally it would top out at 7700 rpms / 68mph gps. Slower top end then my stock 06 RXP !! About ten minutes later, when u would hit it out of the hole the rpms would only go in the 6k, then go up back to the high 7k. Few minutes later it would get stuck at 6500 rpms and sometimes burst up to 7700 rpms. At one time it wouldnt even accelerate out of the hole to get on plane, it even overheated and stalled. Then a few minutes later, back to 7700 rpms. On the way back to the dock i hit 8300 rpms but never broke 68mph. It has full warrenty and before i bring it in i would like to have an idea of what to tell them to look at. If you could just point me in the right direction that would be great! Any help will be greatly appreicated!!!

Thanks so for everything in advance!
    Colby

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    very possible its the clutch.....you didn't test ride?? Well, at least you can get the '06 clutch upgrade under warranty (thicker shaft) and then put Jerry's metal clutch washers in there and call it a day!!

sean

Check air tube connections upstream and downstream of IC for leaks. Make sure connectors are centered over ends of tubes and are properly tightened. If bad leaks are occuring RPMs will drop dramatically. Vibration may cause the tube to move and obtain a better seal temporarily, until it vibrates, moves, and leaks again.

I'd update the SC clutch under warranty, and use the fact that the RPMs are low, even if the air tubes are leaking. Some shops will let you bring in just the SC. You may want to consider replacing the plastic tubes with metal ones from Riva, less chance of leaks (if you have plastic ones). Jerry sells metal replacements I believe.

+1
    My guess(es) would be a boost leak in the intercooler tubing (typically causes rpms to vary quite a bit as boost builds, then blows out the leak, then builds, etc) is causing the rpms to vary. When I had a plastic intercooler tube deform, my skis rpms went from 7700 to 8100, back to 7700, etc. Putting in metal intercooler tubing and clamping it tight solved that. The overheat might be a plugged intercooler - pull the intercooler and clean and flush it as Jerry explained recently.

If you pull the intercooler tubing, examine it and the silicone couplers very carefully under good light. You can often see where the boost leaks are, indicated by what look sorta like burn marks on the tubing and/or the silicone couplers. Might also be leaking boost at the IC blockoff on front of the motor too.

+1
    I agree that it sounds more like a boost leak. Usually, when the clutch goes, you don't get varying RPM. Do you hear the SC whine at all? To be safe, pull the SC and inspect the washers. That would be a good time to upgrade to metal washers too.

hey thanks for all the advice, turns out there was water in the motor and oil ... never flipped it and it was serviced right before i purchased it.. could be a intercooler leak i was told, need to bring it back to riva.... i just hope it didnt cause any rust having water sitting in the motor

Thread Information