Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Motor revs, doesn't go anywhere!

OK so help me out on this one guys. Whenever I take my slt750 out with someone on the back the motor revs as normal...but the propeller doesn't seem to want to push us through the water as it should. By myself it runs fine, until the bay gets filled with water (up to the bottom of the motor and fuel tank full) then it does the same thing. Seems to be a weight issue? I'm afraid that right before I developed this leak (from the through hull assembly) my friend sucked up a tow strap underneath and it died out that this could have caused the issue. I'm sure that's what caused my leak on the seal/bearing assembly inside but could this be my issue with the propeller sounding like it's spinning but not pushing water like it should? Also, the shaft seems to slide back and forth in and out of the motor when it revs, is that normal? Thanks in advance for the help!

vid of the in and out shaft play

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like you have damage in the jet pump.

The drive shaft should not have any forward and back motion at all.

Remove the jet pump and inspect.

Not to hijack this thread but last weekend I tried giving my son who is about 100lbs a ride and my ski did the same. Mne doesn't take on water and not shure if my shaft moves back and forth like the OP but what exacly would I be looking for with the jet pump?

+1

So is the in an out play a sign of the damage then? I guess the rope getting sucked into the impeller could have cause it? I'm not too sure what i'm looking for once removing. If you look at the end of my vid...it shows the grooves in the shaft being out of the engine, are they supposed to be?

+1
    See my signature links for some useful jet pump info.

The drive shaft splines should be fully engaged in the engine coupler.

Remove the jet pump. I suspect some damage will be fairly obvious, especially if you have read up on what it should be like.

Pulled the pump, turns out the oring that connects the shaft to the impeller was completely gone as was both bumpers on the ends of the shaft. Replaced the parts, trying it out today.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lockaby32 View Post
    Pulled the pump, turns out the oring that connects the shaft to the impeller was completely gone as was both bumpers on the ends of the shaft. Replaced the parts, trying it out today.
    None of those parts would greatly reduce pump thrust.

Recheck the splines on both ends of the shaft, and inside the engine coupler and impeller nose. I suspect the splines are stripped somewhere, or the bearings behind the impeller are bad.

Tip: Do not stick your finger into the coupler or impeller holes. Metal splinters are painful.

Did you check the impeller bearings for smooth rotation? No grinding or play at all?

Did you remove the stator tail cone and check for water, rust, or bearing damage?

After replacing the oring and bumpers the drive shaft now seats completely into the coupler and no more spinning problem! Now if I could just figure out what do with my 1/3 throttle bog down

carbs/fuel lines, have they been replaced or cleaned?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information