Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Should i buy a 2002 GP1200r with bad pistons

Hi All,

Im new to this board. Learning a ton from all you guys. Thanks!

My question is: I am thinking about buying a 2002 GP1200r that has bad pistons. They seller had it looked at from a dealer and the dealer said it needs new pistons and gaskets.
    Do you guys think it is worth buying this ski and putting in the parts? He wants $800 for the ski and a trailer. Anything else i should look out for when i go and take a look, besides the cylinder walls, etc..?

Thanks!
    -Brian

$800 for this ski isn't bad, but the parts aren't cheap. Also, make sure the crank is in good shape. The parts to rebuild will not be cheap.

Check out shopsbt.com for there cylinder/piston exchange program. I thing they sell all 3 pistons & jugs for $695. I believe that also comes with all of the gaskets. Plan on rebuilding all 3 carbs & finding out why the engine blew in the first place.

Ok, will do! Thanks for the response!

I was looking at this site for the piston rebuilds. Is this not a good option for this?
    http://www.pwcengine.com/products/Ya...build-Kit.html

The guy said the dealership was saying wear and tear or too much water.. They really didnt know. I was going to offer the seller $600. Just dont want to get in over my head with this! It would be my first rebuild! Thanks again for the help!

I think tha price is good for the PWC and trailer. If you want to do the work yourself I would estimate it would cost you anywhere from $1000 to $2000 for the repair parts and the PV clips/ D-plate. Of course this all depends on how the other cylinders look and how the crank/case look.

If you go with a replacement engine it would be closer to the cost of the engine and shipping. As for PCWenngine.com I looked into that when I rebuilt mine but I did not find anyone who had used them to get any reviews. I think there may be some now.

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    $600-$800 is a fine price including the trailer. Don't buy SBT parts, their parts are Sh** and their gaskets are no better.... Get used OEM parts from one of the many dealers on the forum and buy OEM kits for the carbs. For those who find my SBT comments offensive.... do some research on their "quality" and then you will see my point.

Good luck,

Christian79

Ok. I'll do some more research on finding the parts. I really need to go take a look at it before I would jump in. From what he is saying the dealership just stated that the pistons and gaskets should be replaced. Maybe everything else looks good. I'll let you guys know what i find out!

Was hoping not to spend under a grand on getting back up! Not sure if that is realistic or not.
    Thanks for the posts!

+1
    Brian,

You can find a running GP1200R for $2500. Unless you can tear that thing down and look at the cylinders and crank first, why take the risk?

Quote Originally Posted by MattK1 View Post
    Check out shopsbt.com for there cylinder/piston exchange program. I thing they sell all 3 pistons & jugs for $695. I believe that also comes with all of the gaskets. Plan on rebuilding all 3 carbs & finding out why the engine blew in the first place.
    Do NOT do this.

Ask the experienced engine builders around here about SBT. No bueno. Or just look at OsideBill's thread about SBT in the Yamaha Open Discussion forum here.

My GP1200r is being rebuilt right now... all OEM parts. If all you need is a top end (pistons, rings, wrist pins etc...) the parts cost is not that high. It gets pricey when you start having to replace bottom end stuff like the crank and rods. Also, if the bendix is bad, the whole engine has to come out... and that's another expensive part.

So in short... if you can be sure that the GP1200R in question here only needs a top end rebuild... it's not too pricey. But if it needs other work (re-coating of the jugs, crank, etc...), you're pricetag will go up rapidly.

And yes... you can buy a running GP1200R for about $2500 nowadays. But what if that GP1200R is about to toss a piston or two? Then you've spent $2500 and you're in the same predicament you're in with the $800 GP1200R. Just something to chew on....

+1
    Please specify "bad pistons" . Is the motor seized?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information