Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Two quick VX ride plate questions before strapping it on my FZS

Sorry for being lazy, I'm sure I could find this info if I had the time to search, but the lake is calling.

I'm about to go make a speed run with the stock ride plate, then throw on a VX plate and check the speed difference. Two quick questions before I go:

1. If I recall, I DON'T use the stock spacer with the VX plate, and just bolt it directly to the hull, correct?

2. What should I do with the rubber flaps that bolt up to the back of the stock ride plate? Just leave them hanging?

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

Correct, you do not use the stock spacer plate. You would start out mounting directly to the hull and as needed, shim the back with washers....not sure about the rubber flap thing. It's easy as pie. Unbolt the speedo, unbolt a few screws and swap out....It shouldn't take more than a total of 10 minutes once you have the ski slid back and the ride plate is out of the way of the trailer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
    Sorry for being lazy, I'm sure I could find this info if I had the time to search, but the lake is calling.

I'm about to go make a speed run with the stock ride plate, then throw on a VX plate and check the speed difference. Two quick questions before I go:

1. If I recall, I DON'T use the stock spacer with the VX plate, and just bolt it directly to the hull, correct?

2. What should I do with the rubber flaps that bolt up to the back of the stock ride plate? Just leave them hanging?

Thanks, Mike
    #1 Yes remove the stock spacers. Also in the front of the two vx rideplate bolts add two SS fender washers app .100 to .110 thick Total each side between the front of the ride plate and hull use no washers in the back. This is the fastest setup #2 remove the rubber sound flaps completly. Tommy Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    #1 Yes remove the stock spacers. Also in the front of the two vx rideplate bolts add two SS fender washers app .100 to .110 thick Total each side between the front of the ride plate and hull use no washers in the back. This is the fastest setup #2 remove the rubber sound flaps completly. Tommy Jordan
    I bought fender washers for shims, but I thought I might need them for the rear to reduce possible purposing. I forgot about putting any in the front. If I end up wanting some in the rear, do you still leave the shims in the front?

I wandered what the rubber flaps were for.

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

+1
    Jim gave me directions with my modded VX plate and it says in capital letters not to shim the front. IMO thats a lot of angle.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    I see you are going to test, number 1 most important thing DO NOT test a vx plate with a stock grate make sure you have an aftermarket grate.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Jim gave me directions with my modded VX plate and it says in capital letters not to shim the front. IMO thats a lot of angle.
    Doesn't Jim machine the angle of the mounting surface to the hull? I can't remimber if he takes some angle out, or adds some in.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    I see you are going to test, number 1 most important thing DO NOT test a vx plate with a stock grate make sure you have an aftermarket grate.
    I need to add a sig with my mods. Thanks for the reminder Jim. I had the R&D intake grate installed before I took delivery of the ski. The VX ride plate and GPS will be #2 and #3 mods. After I try out and record some numbers with the stock VX plate, I plan on sending it to you for your magical touch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
    I bought fender washers for shims, but I thought I might need them for the rear to reduce possible purposing. I forgot about putting any in the front. If I end up wanting some in the rear, do you still leave the shims in the front?

I wandered what the rubber flaps were for.

Thanks guys for the quick replies.
    If you need to shim the rear I leave the washers in the front also. The information on how to shim your Vx ride plate is how I have done it. This is for a OEM un modded vx ride plate. With Jim's modded vx plate the set up may be totaly different. AS information provoded by most forum members " THE RESULTS MAY VARY FROM SKI TO SKI" The rubber flap is there to help reduce the exhaust noise. Let us know how your test came out! Tommy Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post

Why should you remove the rubber flaps?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information