Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Overheating!!!

Hey guys went riding this past weekend and ran into problems. The water was extremly rough!! after about an hour of riding the alarm came on and said it was overheating! i shut it off immedialty and lifted the seat off, steam came pouring out, coolant tank was empty and coolant was everywhere on the bottom of the hull inside engine compartment. I got it towed back and im getting ready to work on it tomarrow. Any ideas what went wrong or what happend? any help would be great!! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ddlawnguy View Post
    Hey guys went riding this past weekend and ran into problems. The water was extremly rough!! after about an hour of riding the alarm came on and said it was overheating! i shut it off immedialty and lifted the seat off, steam came pouring out, coolant tank was empty and coolant was everywhere on the bottom of the hull inside engine compartment. I got it towed back and im getting ready to work on it tomarrow. Any ideas what went wrong or what happend? any help would be great!! thanks
    Could be anything from a leak in a hose, to a bad head gasket. Pressure test the system and listen/look (soapy water) for any leaks in hoses. If you can't hear any leaks, and the pressure drops, it's internal.

+1
    Did it sound funny before it overheated? If it was really rough you could of had a hose come loose.

+1
    Sounds like your headgasket went. Fill it back up and run with the seat off to try and determine the source. If it starts to leak when u hammer on it this usually points to head gasket failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    Sounds like your headgasket went. Fill it back up and run with the seat off to try and determine the source. If it starts to leak when u hammer on it this usually points to head gasket failure.
    I would not risk warping the head/block by doing this. They rent out pressure testers at autozone for free.

Yeah, it was really rough and i was riding hard through it, then all of a sudden alarm came on. No wierd noises prior tho.

Check your coolant hoses on your ride plate,if you still have the factory clamps on them they tend to come loose

well i finally got around to fixing this problem. Come to find out all it was, was a hose poped off the rideplate on the bottom. Hell they only have zipties holding them on??? I went ahead and replaced both hoses and put on regular hose clamps to hopefully avoid breaking down in the middle of the lake again.!!! hahaha

+1
    LoL ziptipes are not factory man.. Althought the factory clamps are some chinsy sqeeze design clamp... Looks like someone has been through it.. I'd check other hoses and makes sure they have good clamps on them too especially Exhaust hoses hate
    for you to sink it next time. Good luck.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ddlawnguy View Post
    well i finally got around to fixing this problem. Come to find out all it was, was a hose poped off the rideplate on the bottom. Hell they only have zipties holding them on???
    it's unfortuante by there are lots of amateur hour shade tree learned mechanics wacthing tool time folkks out there.

if you've ever had to wrangle those cheesy oem clamps, you might see why somebody might just say a zip tie is ok. NOT

Luckily you returned to shore without much ado. This type of oversight often carries more sever consequeces.

"you can't pull over on the sideof the ocean...specially when the water is rough"

I'd be looking over the entire ski and then some if this is the demonstrated skill level of the person who was in charge of keeping that ski afloat.

One more thing..I wouldn't just use any old hose clamp on that..get a real high quality one..forget the tehnical term for them but the metal bands have formed ridges.you see them on yamaha exaust systems and in some places on older seadoo drivelines. That's a clamp you need to not be worrying about. ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information