Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

Any computer whizz in here? HELP!....

Ok my problem is as follows.....My Notebook computer is slow as hell!!!....It is NOT the fastest computer out there or anything close to it, but when new was 10X faster than it is now. It's a compaq presario w/ an Mobile AMD Sempron processor. I have just spent a little over $200 on upgrading the DDR Ram to 1.12gb and buying a Maxtor external HD to get all the pics, music, and garbage out of it. The memory of the HD is more than 3/4 empty with 13gb used and more than 55gb free.....I am running Mozilla Firefox....I have Windows XP.......Running McAfee Internet Security Suite....

What else can I do?...I know a brand new Intel Core 2 duo processor with 2gb of ram....

Not it the mood for spending money on that now!...Specially when I have just made a few big purchases.....

Geo:

Go into start/programs/accessories/system tools

Then do, Disc clean up and then disc defrag

On clean up delete temp internet files, and cookies.

Then go get some sort of spyware program and run it. You can test to see if you have spyware for free on some of those websites.

I am sure someone else will expand on my suggestions

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    yea i was gonna say defrag delete programs you dont use , if all else fails reformatte it

+1
    My internet browser takes care of deleting the history, internet files, cookies and all that when the session is over.

My anti-virus has some sort of spyware and it seems to be clean.

I'll try the other though...

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    i reformatte my computer once a year cuas ei just keep up with the updates and no spy ware or aintvirus

+1
    Definitly defrag the drive. If you moved or deleted files, your drive is a mess.
    Go out and get these 2 spyware programs, they're free.
    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...bj=dl&tag=top5

http://spywarebot.com/?hop=advanced9...5447&oid=&aid=

Also the memory you added, is it the same kind and speed?

Talking

Geo,

Daily maint is crucial to performance. Try the following:

a. Windows Update - Keeps your O/S UTD (Due to compatibility issues with Symantec software I do not run IE 7)

B. The Windows defrag utility sucks. Check out PerfectDisk http://www.raxcosoftware.com and/or Diskeeper 9 Pro http://www.executivesoftware.com . These are the best defrag utilities out there and well worth the $.

c. Download the free version of Ad-Aware SE http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/...e_personal.php. One of the biggest problems with PC performance is spyware.

d. Move everything except your O/S and primary programs to your external HDD. This will reduce your seek time.

There are also several things you can edit in the Windows registry but I wouldn't rec it if you are not familiar with it. Do yourself a favor a buy a Windows based book from any store that sells them. Best Buy actually carries one called "Windows for Dummies". I think it's around $20 and it's a great resource tool for novice end-users.

Upgrading your memory was a good choice & 1 GB is sufficient if you mainly surf the web. If you plan to do video editing you will need more.

Are you using a Broadband connection? Visit http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest to see what kind of bandwidth speed you are seeing and compare that to what your ISP advertises.

Good Luck,

+1
    Oh man, I will never use any lavasoft software ever again. Have tried it twice, and both times the amount of spyware brought in by the software itself was ridiculous....Pop ups every few seconds....it was terrible....

I will do the defrag and see...

I did the speed test and it seems like both my connections suck! The sprint wireless card was 216kb and was classified as mediocre and my home dsl light was rated @96kb/s...was rated as slow...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GeoRXT View Post
    Oh man, I will never use any lavasoft software ever again. Have tried it twice, and both times the amount of spyware brought in by the software itself was ridiculous....Pop ups every few seconds....it was terrible....

I will do the defrag and see...

I did the speed test and it seems like both my connections suck! The sprint wireless card was 216kb and was classified as mediocre and my home dsl light was rated @96kb/s...was rated as slow...
    Hmmm.

I've been using Ad-Aware for years and it never pops up on me. Maybe you didn't have the options configured to keep it from running in the background. If you do decide to try it again just set the options to scan at your request. That way it will never run at will.

Yeah your speed is low, barely better than a Dial-Up connection. Looks like that's your biggest problem. I have 2.83 MBPS download speed thru my ISP on hardline & wireless connection.
    Last edited by Flynfox; 12-12-2006 at 01:19 AM.

I never had a problem with Adaware either...I have used it for over 2yrs now. I use this along with Microsoft AntiSpyware tool and Norton Antivirus. I delete any un-necessary programs and files. I will also run Defrag on the hard drives weekly to keep the data on the hard drive efficiently aligned.

As to your slow down issue, are you running McAfee Anti-Spamware? I loaded this up and it was a serious cpu hog. Go to the McAfee utility and see if this is running. If it is, get rid of it and you will see your speed come back. There are better spamware products available should you find this necessary. Don't sign up for free anything while giving out your e-mail address. You will get spamed!

Also, go to Start, Run. Type in: Regedit
    Go to: HKEY_Local_Machine, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run
    Click on the Run directory to open.
    Let me know what items you have running in the background from this list.
    Depending on what you are running, you can probably clear quite a few of these startup items from launching at startup. This will slow down your notebook and is not necessary except for your antivirus software and a few drivers.

Most every time you load software, you unknowingly install other items such as search assistants, tool bars, and other crap that is totally unnecessary. If you do want to launch some of the applications, you can start them manually by clicking on the program icon in the start/programs directory or from the desktop if the shortcut exists there. By pre-loading applications, you are only saving miliseconds to a few seconds to launch. What you sacrafice is memory space and cpu cycles. By clearing out the unnecessary startup items, you will free up lost speed. Keep it lean and mean.

Word of caution! Do not delete any registry keys without first knowing for sure what you are doing. If you delete the incorrect keys, you could find yourself with an un-bootable computer...not to mention lost data.

Let me know what items are running and I will ask you some more questions on what you have loaded and what you absolutely need to have. Once I have a clear picture on what you need vs. what is loaded, I will be able to make some suggestions on what to remove from this portion of the registry.

GET RID OF McAFEE SPAM BLOCKER FIRST!

Michael

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information