Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 Sl900 Tuning Carbs

Ok i finally got my SL900 to spark. This thing hasn't ran in about 3 yrs i bought it broken. I took it to the lake today to see what it would do. Of course i had carb problems i was 99 percent sure i was going to as long as it has been sitting.

It was running on the trailer backed in to the lake on the boat ramp

It revved over 5000rpms once then it would go over 4500.

It didnt really want to idle at first but once it ran a little and quit white smoking horribly out the back it will idle at like 1200 for about 10 seconds then die

I was running it at about 3500rpms and i had the intake cover off so i can see down all three carbs. It seemed every once in a while there was a back fire and flames that i could see down in the bottom of the middle carb.

If the accelerator pump is on the front carb which i think it is then it was leaking out the top. But when you hit the gas hard i could see a stream of gas come from the little nozzles at the top of the carbs.

I really think the 1st and 3rd carb are good its just the middle one with problems and it may just be because the accelerator pump is leaking. I know for sure i was getting a back fire in the middle cylinder like i said i could see an orange flame down in the bottom of the carb.

Any advice on this

Also should this thing rev to like 6000-6500 rpm in the water.

Thanks guys

Banned User
    +1
    I get around 6400 on my 96 SL 900. Take those carbs apart and clean them, and possibly rebuild if necessary. Make sure everything works properly. There are little filters in the carbs that need to be checked and cleaned. What did you do to get it to spark?

Cool Is there a guide some where to dismantle these carbs? I have done seadoo carbs but not these.

I hate doing carbs the most out of everything because you have to be perfect. Its a lot of trips to the lake to realize your still not there yet.

After four days fighting the no spark problem it finally took a whole new ignition update kit and me cleaning every ground wire on the ski and double checking every wire connection. Also had to have a brand new battery because you guy weren't kidding any thing under 10.5v and its a no go. That will drive you crazy chasing wires when the battery is dead. I think i wore out my volt meter. I also now have three complete electrical systems for this ski two are the original one is the updated which is installed in the ski.

Banned User
    +1
    IGnition update should be reliable for a long time. Do you have the Polaris Factory service manual? It can be found in PDF format rather easily.

+1
    Where are you located?

Im in Texas

Anyway pulled them off this morning and went through them.

Fixed the back fire problem

But now i think my lows are set wrong. It wont start unless i pour a little gas in each carb and then if i dont keep it above 2500rpms it will die. So it wont idle or start on its own. Every time it dies i have to pour a little gas in each carb then it will start right up. But i have to keep it revved about 2500. On the high side this things flys i can gun it from 3000 and it jumps up and goes revs all the way to 6300. So if i can get it to start and idle it will be done.

Any input on how to fix this? Like i said i thing the low needle or what every needs ot be adjusted a turn. I never took them out or touched them.

Banned User
    +1
    Stock setting on the low speed needle is 5/8 turn I believe. But I ended up out quite a bit more than that on mine to get it going right.

Where did you end up setting yours at? I redid mine today to 3/4 and it got a little better. It will start in the water if you hold it on full choke but it doesn't want to run under 2000rpms.

if i let it run down to like 1500 i can get it back up but i have to feather the throttle really fast and work it up above 2000.

I still think im not getting enough fuel on the lows end so im going to try one complete turn out.

I was just wondering how far you has to do yours> Since you said it did take more than the recommended 5/8 of a turn.

Also any trick to turning these things without having to pull the carbs all the way off? That would make it alot easier

Banned User
    +1
    I don't know exactly where I am but I am guessing I am somewhere around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 on my lows. I just barely get on them with a small thin screwdriver, and I have to do the front carb by feel, since you can't see it.

Cool Thats what i need to know i gonna crank them out to 1 1/4 and see what happens. Can you not go throught the hood to get to the front one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information