Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1995 sl 750 fuel issue

I bought this ski about 10 days ago. At first it would not go over 5 mph. I found on these forums a few things that I needed to do to the ski. I replaced the fuel lines ( from auto parts store,) replaced float in gas tank, installed triple fuel pump. After that the ski still did not want to run. This last week I spent my spare time rebuilding the carbs. Took it out today for a test run. It ran great, for a tank and a half of gas. Now it randomly decides to die. First happened at full throttle. has also happened going slow. My first thoughts are to replace the fuel lines again, not sure the lines from a auto parts store are strong enough, does anyone know? Any other ideas what my problem could be. Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Check to see if unscrewing the gas cap helps when it happens. (your fuel tank vents may be bad)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Thanks xlint89 I will try that next time I am out on the lake. For now, I guess I will check the vent hose. I did not replace that when I replaced the rest the fuel hoses, it did not look that old, so I left that one alone. It will probably be be tuesday evening before I can take the ski back to the lake. I will let ya know how it goes.

Ok, took the ski to the lake this evening. the ski would not go more then 7 mph. tried loosening the gas cap, that did not work. the fuel filter looked dirty. It was brand new before I took the ski out saturday. I attempted to remove the gas tank about a week ago, could not get the rubber hose upfront undone. I guess my fat hands seemed to fat to do it. After I got back from the lake, I was determined to get it out, so I could make sure there was no trash in it. I got it out! made sure it was clean, replaced the filter again. Tomorrow I will put it back in and hopefully have time to take it back to the lake and try it again. I also pulled the carbs off again, and took a look, wanted to make sure no trash got through the filter. Carbs look good still. Hopefully it is the fuel filter.

took it to the lake again tonight. Went better, but still did not have full power. It felt like it was not running on all three cylinders. Did a compression test at the lake with my finger, the pto cylinder had no compression. Took the ski home, pulled the head, saw a big crater with a big hole in it. this cylinder definately had probs before I bought it, it is the only head out of the three that has that gasket out of a tube stuff on it. the others have regular gaskets. I think the dealership I bought it from did something with it. My plan now is just to buy a new motor through sbt and do an oil block off and go premix. what is the difference between the standard sbt sl 750 motor for $695 and the premium one for $995?? And doing an oil block off, and going premix, do I need to adjust the carbs or just keep them at factory settings? thanks

+1
    STD is 1 yr warranty I think, and premium is 2 I believe.

If you only have 1 bad piston and everything else is good, why not just replace the 1 bad one?

How's the crank and other 2 cyls?

have to check that out, was too mad last night to look at all that. I think I am going to forget about it for the weekend, then worry about it next week.

+1
    I feel your pain, but if you act right away, you can have the parts to be running by next week end depending.....

Replace the one piston and rings if the cylinder is straight and clean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information