Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Oil leak from engine driveshaft-pto HELP>..

ok so here is the deal folks las weekend went out in my gprxp and when i got back home that i went to flush it i noticed that my hull was pretty sprayed around with oil.. i clean it up and found out that i have a leak from the driveshaft that comes out from the motor or as is called pto so im about to buy the kit that the online store sell called bearings and bellow part #420832648... So what would i need to do in order to get this matter resolve thankss in adavance for any help...

+1
    greenhulk guru's...??

+1
    Tt.

+1
    Youll need to pull the driveshaft,once the driveshaft is out of the engine youll need to pull the clamps holding the rubber boot on the engine,then once the clamps are off then pull the boot/bearing assembly off...once the old assembly is off then clean the pto surface off then put the new boot on using a new clamp,then once you have the boot on i would take a thin amount of black RTV silicone and put it on the outside of the bearing and then slide the bearing into the rubber boot and fasten also with a new clamp..once you have the assembly fastened then put the driveshaft back in and go ride your machine...I would also check the oil level first to make sure your not down some do to the leak..

+1
    Thnks sno u are the best my worries are that i might need to move my engine back becouse i have a conversion gprxp and i have the midshaft assemble in the middle not cut thru hull????
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Youll need to pull the driveshaft,once the driveshaft is out of the engine youll need to pull the clamps holding the rubber boot on the engine,then once the clamps are off then pull the boot/bearing assembly off...once the old assembly is off then clean the pto surface off then put the new boot on using a new clamp,then once you have the boot on i would take a thin amount of black RTV silicone and put it on the outside of the bearing and then slide the bearing into the rubber boot and fasten also with a new clamp..once you have the assembly fastened then put the driveshaft back in and go ride your machine...I would also check the oil level first to make sure your not down some do to the leak..

+1
    sorry for digging up this old thread. I have discovered that my bearing is leaking oil badly too. What causes this to leak? I have had the engine and pump out before. Does mis-alignment cause the bearing to leak?

One problem I've had when removing the driveshaft before is that this bearing is stuck onto the driveshaft. Is this normal? Is there any trick to getting the bearing off the driveshaft?

I will be replacing the bearing and boot and follow snoman's instructions above. I was wondering one thing. Doesn't the bearing and bellow come pre-assembled with the clamp on? if it does, how do you get the rtv silicone onto the bearing? What is the purpose of the silicone?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Apologies for what must be rudimentary questions. Just don't want to make any mistakes.

+1
    The bellows comes with the bearing installed and has the clamp around the bearing holding it tight, the reason there is a suggestion to apply rtv silicon is to help make a better seal in case of a loose clamp or if you were replacing a bearing and you had it out, putting the bearing back into the bellow many have suggested to apply an extra seal of silicon to help prevent a leak...

+1
    thanks crisistc.

i should clarify that the bearing itself seems to have come apart and is leaking, not just the seal around the bearing.

Life is Supercharged (without ceramics)
    +1
    hi Guys

sorry to bump this but i came across a similar issue with my RXP winterizing it today. Oil is all inside the hull and actually soaked the bottom, looks like its leaking through the hull... really messed up and first time ive every see oil leak through fiberglass.

So i did some searching on the forum and ebay and i think i found my problem.
    1. looks like my rear shaft bearing/bellows are worn out (77 hrs on the motor) but its a 2005.
    2. Oil is dripping slowly and a lot more when running from the bottom of the rear bearing.
    3. Concern: the entire rubber bellows are covered in oil, almost like its leaking all over not sure if the rubber is broken half way or something, i plan on replacing it all.

I took a few pics to show why im thinking this. Can anyone confirm if this will solve the leak? Also how do i go about changing the rear bearing? I found one on ebay with the rubber and all. Nothing was cleaned so oil is everywhere around the shaft and looks to be a nice dark like at the bottom of the bearing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4654.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	285184

Name:	IMG_4648.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	285185

Name:	IMG_4651.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	285186

From what ive done on my ski before this is what im thinking should be done.
    1. Remove SC and piping
    2. Remove pump
    3. remove carbon ring clamps
    4. Slide out driveshaft
    5. Remove old clamps from bellows
    6. Install new clamps with silicone around the motor side of the bearing.

Replacement part = http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....tchlink:top:en

Is that the rough idea ? Anything else i should look at while i have it apart? Any other parts to replace. I was debating to lift out the engine but this looks simple enough from the top. Ive heard of pto cases also leaking but im not sure how to check that.

Also another question for later as i was looking at this issue, I had to take off my riva exhaust and XS intercooler, the cooler had a bit of water inside the air tubes, im thinking it may have a leak. I will be pressure testing it to see if something got in the cooler. No water in the pistons or oil thankfully. Just a nice headache for my saturday morning but Im just glad i have the winter to get the parts and get my toy ready for spring.

Thanks in advance for the help. You guys are always awesome.
    Cheers
    C

+1
    Im sure you know that you need to remove the c-clip before you remove the pump. I highly recommend these guys for your parts: http://www.shspowersports.com/fiche_...mber=420832648

bottom of page for quick link, $111 verses $142. I would also order the Oetiker clamp you will destroy removing the seal, odd size and hard to find.

You may have some trouble with the drive shaft since it is so rusted!

You should consider replacing the floating ring, carbon seal, and bellows while your there.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 10-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information