Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    gleson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wollongong Australia
    Posts
    425
    +1
    13

    Advice on setup for FZS

    Guys I am looking at running this setup, will it work or am I going to run into problems with rev limiters etc. I dont want to look at R&D powershot or upgrades of the ECU. If this set up works what speed do you think I will get. Low to mid 70's is the target.


    Riva performance filter
    Riva Power Intercooler
    R&D Ride plate
    PPK
    HKS BOV
    Skat 13/23
    Ribbon Delete

    Many thanks


  2. #2
    coldspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    438
    That should get you to low 70's.

    I have a spare Watson racing intercooler with 5 hrs on it going for a great price. This would add 1 extra pd of boost and is the best around with the heavy mounts attached to it. PM if interested.

  3. #3
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,134
    +1
    205
    Thats too steep of a prop. I ran a similar setup minus the powercooler and barley turned 7400. I now run a 13/20 and I turn 7600+ all day.

  4. #4
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,594
    +1
    4,798
    gleson; in cooler weather we have managed up to and beyond 73 mph with only the VX plate, R&D grate and my cheap air mod.

  5. #5
    64physhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Weatherford, TX
    Posts
    1,725
    +1
    168
    The prop is too much. With the other mods, you should be at a 13/20 or 13/21. I have similar mods, minus the powercooler, with a 13/22 and it's a touch too steep. I didn't check the actual pitch on it, so it's probably about a 13/21, as they tend to be about a degree less than advertised.

  6. #6
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,809
    +1
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Thats too steep of a prop.
    It actually won't be tall enough with the Riva cooler. An upgraded IC makes a HUGE difference. I didn't have my R3 back in time for the FL Mudbug rides last month, & I had to run my 13/24 Skat to keep me off the rev limit with my stock ECU. I was turning 7620+ in 95* weather with the stock SC wheel in salt. In freshwater, I'd expect it would've been close to 7700.

    Quote Originally Posted by gleson View Post
    Guys I am looking at running this setup, will it work or am I going to run into problems with rev limiters etc. I dont want to look at R&D powershot or upgrades of the ECU. If this set up works what speed do you think I will get. Low to mid 70's is the target.


    Riva performance filter
    Riva Power Intercooler
    R&D Ride plate
    PPK
    HKS BOV
    Skat 13/23
    Ribbon Delete

    Many thanks
    Without addressing the boost limiter, you'll be leaving lots of performance on the table with those parts. If you don't want to get a reflash or powershot, you should at least look into adding the Riva boost clamp to your list.

  7. #7
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,134
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    It actually won't be tall enough with the Riva cooler. An upgraded IC makes a HUGE difference. I didn't have my R3 back in time for the FL Mudbug rides last month, & I had to run my 13/24 Skat to keep me off the rev limit with my stock ECU. I was turning 7620+ in 95* weather with the stock SC wheel in salt. In freshwater, I'd ecpect it would've been close to 7700.


    Without addressing the boost limiter, you'll be leaving lots of performance on the table with those parts. If you don't want to get a reflash or powershot, you should at least look into adding the Riva boost clamp to your list.
    Ok good info on the powercooler. In my experience, any prop will need some tweaking to get right.

    Also, with a boost clamp you need to run a fuel pressure regulator. I asked Riva about this a few months ago.

  8. #8
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,809
    +1
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Ok good info on the powercooler. In my experience, any prop will need some tweaking to get right.

    Also, with a boost clamp you need to run a fuel pressure regulator. I asked Riva about this a few months ago.
    They say that because they use a boost clamp with an E1 in their stage 2 kit. The OP didn't have a SC upgrade in his list & there's most likely enough fuel in the stock mapping to support the IC with a stock wheel. In hot weather I'm sure he'd be fine, but if it were me, I'd probably spend the extra few bucks for the powershot just in case it gets a little lean in cool weather or later deciding to upgrade the wheel.

    Once the boost limiter is raised, a 13/24 might still not be tall enough to stay out of the rev limit. You can really feel the boost limiter kicking in with better cooling. I didn't have my powershot to use on those rides either since it was at R&D with my ECU, & past 1/2 throttle there was almost nothing left in it because of that stupid limiter.

  9. #9
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,134
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    They say that because they use a boost clamp with an E1 in their stage 2 kit. The OP didn't have a SC upgrade in his list & there's most likely enough fuel in the stock mapping to support the IC with a stock wheel. In hot weather I'm sure he'd be fine, but if it were me, I'd probably spend the extra few bucks for the powershot just in case it gets a little lean in cool weather or later deciding to upgrade the wheel.
    I've never tested it personally, but just running a boost clamp even on stock boost sounds pretty dangerous, unless you keep an eye on the AFRs. Here's the post I made over on the Riva forums: http://rivaforums.com/eve/forums/a/t...14/m/826101186 Food for thought

  10. #10
    txgp1300r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas , Texas
    Posts
    3,382
    +1
    165
    I just installed the stage 1 r&d kit on a brand new fzs...intake/22r prop,grate,exhaust,butt plug removal.......it runs real good about 70-72 all day long...good bang for the buck....imho hope this helps.
    Last edited by txgp1300r; 07-13-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Battery life on YUASA for FZ SHO
    By B3rideon in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2015, 08:07 PM
  2. Advice on setup
    By Rock918 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2015, 12:43 PM
  3. advice on used 2010 fzs
    By pfred in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2015, 08:39 PM
  4. Advice on base fuel pressure for my setup.....
    By Jwall in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
  5. need advice on fuel for 260X on 15psi
    By drift in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 07:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •