2009 vx deluxe top speed???

Hello all. I am new to the Yamaha world of skis, with the recent purchase of a 2009 vx deluxe. I have owned Polaris Genesis in the past, and am glad to be rid of that problem! I must say I am very happy with the reliability of the yamaha 4 stroke engine. It is smooth and reliable, and very economical. I was told that this unit should run in the 50 mph range. I am slightly disappointed here. Best I have seen is 41 on the speedo, and it took a LONG time to get there. The performance seems pretty good, with max RPM being in the 7500 range. I was wondering if anyone has some tips for me, being new to the 4 stroke yami world. Is it possible the speedo is off? I dont think it is. My old Polaris would run 55+ (when it ran) and that was pretty dang fast. This doesnt feel like that. Was I given some bad info on top speed for this unit?

+1
    Randy, the speedo means nothing; first get a true baseline speed with a GPS unit.
    According to Riva that model should be hitting 50-52 mph; did you buy it used? I don't know how many hours it has but I would start with a simple test; remove the air filter element and then see what your GPS says. My guess is the restrictive OEM air filter is a big part of your problem.

Beyond that, maybe fresh set of plugs and fresh gas. Some people go out and buy used skis and run them on gas that is over a year or two old! Jerry has a section with some goodies for your ski; I would start by dumping that air filter and try the VX Performance Power Filter Kit:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=856

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Something isn't right. You need to check the plugs and make sure the air filter doesn't have oil. Take the filter out and run it and see what top speed you get. The speedo is inaccurate but usually reads higher not lower then actual speeds.

+1
    I have an 09 VX Deluxe, did about 52 stock on a gps 1/2 tank of gas, I have thrown in whatever mods are available and have only gained a few mph. Like some have said start with new plugs, check air filter, or just remove whole filter box and run an open exhaust, also make sure you are running on all 4 cylinders, one of my coil wires was unplugged and i was losing a lot of rpms and ski would do more than 40.

I installed new plugs, as they were pretty bad, and found the air filter was fouled, but not terrible bad. I removed the stock air filter, and installed a K&N style filter inside the stock box. I plan on hitting the water with it tomorrow, and I'll let you all know what I find.

I know this isn't it but just in case, are you sure your not in low RPM Learner mode. My wifes VX will do around 50.

Just a quick answer, no I am not running in learner mode. I took a quick trip to the lake yesterday. 47.6 gps speed, 1/2 tank of fuel, slight chop on the water. I am about 280 pounds, so I am thinking its pretty close to where it should be. I bought this ski used, and its got 664 hours on it now. Seems like alot for an 09, but its in really nice shape, and runs excellent, plus I got a pretty good deal on it. It has alot more power, and acceleration since the filter upgrade and new plugs. Maybe over the winter I'll look into the prop, as this is really the only thing left that could be hurting the speed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
    Just a quick answer, no I am not running in learner mode. I took a quick trip to the lake yesterday. 47.6 gps speed, 1/2 tank of fuel, slight chop on the water. I am about 280 pounds, so I am thinking its pretty close to where it should be. I bought this ski used, and its got 664 hours on it now. Seems like alot for an 09, but its in really nice shape, and runs excellent, plus I got a pretty good deal on it. It has alot more power, and acceleration since the filter upgrade and new plugs. Maybe over the winter I'll look into the prop, as this is really the only thing left that could be hurting the speed.
    664 hours; wow! ...yeah check the prop for any signs of damage and also the wear ring; these areas can easily get "dinged up" from injesting small rocks and the tolerance on the wear ring is critical for better performance.

664 hours!!!!!!!!!
    WOW
    Yeah, like Yo mentioned, check the prop. after that long I'm sure its dinged, scraped, flattened, out of round... If you don't have any usual high mileage issues like blowby etc...
    and hate to mention it but after that much use, check to be sure it isn't waterlogged... like soaked between the inner and outer hulls. A lot of extra weight there.

Thread Information