Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

951 Rave mod to 800 old design

After reading up on the forum on this thread
    I am going to do this mod. on my 2000 XP

So after 3/32" drilling both valve guide/housings at the angle in the thread given above as stated page 20 & 21.
    Like the photos below show

- looks hard to get the angle just right and have it come out perfect in the top - right at the edge of the horizontal-vertical ? RED outlined hole position below photo --- or does this work out OK just by keeping the angle as you all have said?

All I have to do is get the 800 motor springs (or should I get the 787 springs?) and install them? And cap off the solenoid line ports?

Looks like a good idea to cut the window in the caps for a good view while on the hose?
    How did you cut those nice view slots in the cap? Drummel type tool?

TIA for any comments on this.

Am I missing anything else on doing this mod???

Bryan in McHenry, IL on the Fox River - Chain-O-Lakes

+1
    Now your doing this to get rid of the solenoid correct ??

Yes they are on back order right now and the local SD parts guy thinks they might even go obsolete soon.

Just want to go with the simple older design so I do not have to troubleshoot the other circuit anymore.

I know most think the new design is better but I am tired of having an intermittent circuit that is mostly not working vs working - 80% no go 20% works - it has a mind of its own.

So I figure I will go with the manual older design.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wb9mcw View Post
    Yes they are on back order right now and the local SD parts guy thinks they might even go obsolete soon.

Just want to go with the simple older design so I do not have to troubleshoot the other circuit anymore.

I know most think the new design is better but I am tired of having an intermittent circuit that is mostly not working vs working - 80% no go 20% works - it has a mind of its own.

So I figure I will go with the manual older design.
    makes sense.. i think im going to swap my raves from my 97 to the 01 to "see how much more reliable" they can be..

Yes I saw your post - You did clean all the 50 hour build up carbon off of your current raves right?

Still sluggish though?

Sure try the swap to the old manual set up and let me know how it works out!

A lot of the racers do not the new system and went back to the old simple design.

Many say the new design is better via computer control loops - but with all the complexity = more chance for problems and intermittent issues to crop up and drive ya nutz.

+1
    yes i have cleaned the raves, made em look like new. they work just sometimes they dont open and sometimes they do. the old design seems to work perfectly as i have never had a problem with them on my 800.. time for some trial and error i suppose..

Sure sounds like a good idea at this point Be sure to let me know how it turns out on your test.

Basically I am going to do the same thing with the mod - using the 800 springs and the drilling out of the RAVE body.

It will be of interest to me to see how your swap test works out.

Like -- How is the hole shot now versus the original 951 design?

And -- At what RPM does the RAVE activate and does it seem to have just as much power gain (pull-acceleration) as the original 951 design?

No one else seems to be chiming in on this post (you would think there would be many to comment on this) so you are the only input I will have to go by.

I figure this much -- If the racers do this mod to get rid of the complexity of the original 951 design and go back to the basic 787-800 design there must be something to all of this to be learned from. Especially if Sea-Poo is going to not stock parts like the solenoid anymore.

+1
    the best chance ill have to test this is on saturday..so i should have some results then

+1
    well thats not happening.. took em both apart was going to use the valves from the 951 in the 800 housings... the valves in the 951 are alot longer and would never work.. in the pics u can see the big difference in the size of the valves..

and looking at the 951 it has the same holes in the cylinders as the 800 does for the 800 style rave valves... soo actually it would be just easier to drill out the 951 rave housings and just cap off the nipple...

But according to what I read in the forum here you have to go with 800 springs because the 951 springs are set up for the positive manifold psi and have the wrong spring rate for exhaust psi operation after you do the drill out procedure.

I really wish some one who knows about all of this would chime in here and tell us if this is true and if the 787 and the 800 are the same springs and that they actually work in the mod and are the ones to use.

I have some 800 springs coming any day now and I will have to have a close look and see if they are even long enough to close the RAVE valve.

Looking at photos I now wonder how the heck the 800 springs would work out with the longer shaft on the 951 RAVE valve???

I talked to one of the top tech guys at SBT named TOM and he had heard about this MOD and is most interested to see how it works out for me. I told Tom I would keep him posted on it all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information