Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 Polaris Genesis wont go past 3800-4500 RPM

My 2001 Genesis i won't go past 3800-4500 RPM.

I'm not getting any warning lights/messages? What gives?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Multiple things to check. Start with cylinder compression, then check voltage on white/red wires with all injectors plugged in. Should be stable at about 45 volts as engine RPM changes.

Does the display say Reverse?

I'll have to check the injector voltages again but all cylinder compressions are equal. Its been a while since I checked the compression but I beleive they were all at 120psi. The display does not say reverse. It's really strange. It runs extremely smooth until I hit about 4500 RPM, any further and it seems like it is spitting and sputtering but stills continues to run about 4500RPM's. If I back off the throttle a bit it starts running smooth again. It' almost seems like it may be related to the TPS but I'm no expert here.

Spark plug gap was my problem - once i corrected it - worked smoothly.

Spark plug gap...hmm. Thats interesting. I have replaced spark plugs since the issue began. I wouldn't think it would run the same on a new set of plugs but I'll check the gap just in case. Thanks.

Thats what i thought - untill i realised that mine were all out by about 0.2mm.
    I noticed that from not running at all, then fitting new plugs, it ran rough, then adjusting the gap - it burst into life!

Non FFI is 0.6 -0.7mm
    FFI is 0.8mm

Good Luck!

In the end - i was even able to run the engine easilly on one cyliner at a time!!

Thats strange. I wonder if I'm running the same plugs on my FFI. My plugs factory gap range on the box is .026-.032. Initially mine were gapped to .026 while experiencing the problem. I adjusted the gap to .032 which made it a little harder to start but still the same 3800-4500 rpm's.

Cylinder compression was around 115-120 on all three cylinders. I still need to check voltage on white/red wires with injectors plugged in. If it turns out to not be a constant 45 volts, what does that indicate?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scubawayne View Post
    Cylinder compression was around 115-120 on all three cylinders. I still need to check voltage on white/red wires with injectors plugged in. If it turns out to not be a constant 45 volts, what does that indicate?
    Possible issue with your EMM on the ignition side or Stator. Just for fun follow the cable that comes from your engine on the mag side of the motor to the EMM, and unplug it.(Should see some yellow wires coming out of Mag side, then go into a black loom) Then check each pin to make sure none are going to ground. (Set your Multimeter to ohm's or buzzer) SO red lead in Deutz connector you removed from EMM, black lead to a head bolt, move red lead across each pin, note pin number and your findings, and get back to the site and let us know. I don't really suspect this, but these ski's can fool ya real easy, and it will at least put a possible stator issue to bed. I had a stator issue that simply was flying debris under the flywheel from the starter bendix, so it was intermitent or a function of RPM. Had proper voltage on Red/white etc...

You are using an NGK plug right?? Set to proper gap.

IF you have 45 volts, present, I would also test my fuel pressure, and report back.
    So 3 tests for you, check voltage on red/white wire on your injectors, check fuel pressure on schrader valve, if you don't have a fuel pressure tester go get one they are cheap, and a requirement when owning a DI machine. Then do the stator test I explained above.

I unplugged the duetz connector(with the yellow wire going to mag) from emm and checked for ground continuity on all pins. None of the pins showed continuity to ground. The voltage on the red/white injector wires were all about 42v through the entire throttle range. I did see it drop to 38 or 39 a time or two but that may have been lack of a solid connection to the wire. It's tough to tell if your connected well if you just pierce the wires. I am running NGK plugs gapped to .032. I still need to get a fuel pressure gauge to test the pressure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information