Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,134
    +1
    205

    Exclamation Potential Riva powerfilter issue

    Just got in from a 60+ mile offshore ride and I am washing the engine compartment and find the k&n filter on the Riva powerfilter sitting on the gas tank. It looks like impact from riding off shore caused the whole filter to slide right off. Those who have the powerfilter will notice that the hose clamp that goes around the k&n filter cannot be tightened fully because doing so deforms the powerfilter. Please guys, if you run a powerfilter keep a close eye on it. This could be very dangerous!

    It looks like I dodged a bullet because the ski ran great on the hose but I'm not taking any chances. I'm going to pull the plugs and I am also going to fog the engine. Anything in perticular I need to look for?


  2. #2
    AWA MEMBER
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Currituck, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    4,616
    +1
    247
    I knew there was a reason why I didn't buy that thing! can you put a sleeve inside the pipe to make the plastic more rigid? just a thought

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the moon
    Posts
    862
    +1
    19
    is this because your filter moved or has your fuel tank moving around. do you have a pic.

  4. #4
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,134
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by razzie View Post
    is this because your filter moved or has your fuel tank moving around. do you have a pic.
    The tube is still connected fine to the lord mount and the SC opening. The k&n filter element on the end of the tube came off. The fuel tank didn't move.

  5. #5
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,134
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    I knew there was a reason why I didn't buy that thing! can you put a sleeve inside the pipe to make the plastic more rigid? just a thought
    That wouldn't work, but I think Im going to try using 2 hose clamps. I'm at my vacation house so I won't be able to work on it until tomorrow morning. That's when I'll take the powerfilter apart and install the new hose clamps. I'll also fog the engine then.

  6. #6
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,805
    +1
    2,024
    Considering how many of these are in use & this being the first issue I've ever heard, it's not something to panic about. I've had one in my SHO for over 200 hours with lots of pounding from offshore riding without issue. Mike, I wouldn't worry that you did any damage. The opening of that tube is real high in the hull, & the cone element is really just a flame arrestor. If you're not using the pre-filter sock, it's actually not filtering anything at all. Using a second clamp might help if you're worried about it happening again, or you could use a t-bolt clamp with a fatter band. You could also horizontally scuff the end of the plastic tube with a wire brush or some course sand paper to add some grip when the clamp is tightened down.

  7. #7
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,591
    +1
    4,797
    What about a little silicone sealant before you clamp it...

  8. #8
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,134
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Considering how many of these are in use & this being the first issue I've ever heard, it's not something to panic about. I've had one in my SHO for over 200 hours with lots of pounding from offshore riding without issue. Mike, I wouldn't worry that you did any damage. The opening of that tube is real high in the hull, & the cone element is really just a flame arrestor. If you're not using the pre-filter sock, it's actually not filtering anything at all. Using a second clamp might help if you're worried about it happening again, or you could use a t-bolt clamp with a fatter band. You could also horizontally scuff the end of the plastic tube with a wire brush or some course sand paper to add some grip when the clamp is tightened down.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I went to get a T bolt clamp but west marine didn't have the right size so I got 2 worm gear style clamps instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    What about a little silicone sealant before you clamp it...
    Maybe I'll have to try your intake instead! Haha. I think I'm going to try using some rescue tape to fatten up the tube where the filter slides onto.

  9. #9
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    That wouldn't work, but I think Im going to try using 2 hose clamps. I'm at my vacation house so I won't be able to work on it until tomorrow morning. That's when I'll take the powerfilter apart and install the new hose clamps. I'll also fog the engine then.
    Mike, I think a sleeve of some sort would help--reinforce the Riva intake tube.

  10. #10
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,134
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Mike, I think a sleeve of some sort would help--reinforce the Riva intake tube.
    I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible, but its definatily a good idea to look into. Hopefully some rescue tape will fatten up the intake for the k&n filter to slide onto.

    ....and what's up with a 4'' T-bolt clamp at WestMarine costing 15$

    Anyways, pics tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Used Riva Powerfilter
    By jpeconsult in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM
  2. Riva Powerfilter kit
    By JET250 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 08:18 PM
  3. riva intercooler issues
    By bigdeez in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 05:29 PM
  4. Riva Powerfilter Review
    By TurboJimmy in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM
  5. Riva powerfilter questions
    By RXP19 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 11:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •