Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Member!

New Member!

Hello all,

I'm currently back in the Jet Ski market, and it's been a long time since I've owned one or even rode one! About 10 years ago I bought a 1996 1100 ZXi from a friend. I had it for about 3 summers and sold it.

I enjoyed the time I had it for the most part, but had a number of issues that added up to me finally selling it. I said at the time I would never own another PWC, especially a Kawasaki!

We took a 3-4 year break from the lake up till this summer. Being there made me want another PWC....bad! I've been back for about 2 weeks now and spend most my time researching on the web, with my interest growing everyday! Although I still have these nervous feelings about kawasaki I keep coming back to the 300x!

Now my previous issues and questions:

1. Reliability. Maybe I had a lemon, but in just 3 summers I had that 96 ZXi in the shop at least twice a year. Most the time it cost me between 200-600 each time (main reason I sold it)! It also never wanted to start if cold. Once you got it started that first time and warmed it up, it wasn't a problem. I would say 7/10 times it would run the battery dead before starting the first time of the day. How much has the quality and reliability changed over the last 10 or so years?

2. My ZXi was a 2 seater I believe, but it really couldn't handle 2 people. That had to be the most unstable thing I've ever been on. 1 person you would be ok, most the time. 2...forget it! It took everything in me and my passenger to keep upright while sitting still. My question here, are they still like that? Can you actually sit still in the water with 2 or 3 people....crap just 1.. and not fight each second to keep dry?

3. Does this thing float? I couldn't count the times that thing flipped and filled with water before I could get it back upright. As stated before, balancing it was a chore so you can imagine it was wrong side up a lot! Every time it would flip I couldn't believe the amount of water it would take on, sometimes to the point I had to have help to get it back upright. First, was that normal? If so for that year and time, do they still do that?

4. Re-boarding. Now, I weigh about 240, young buck and I almost never got back on that ZXi the first time!! It has no step and was a b*** to get back on from the water! This kinda goes with the stability question I guess....are they still so hard to board from the water?

I look forward to any responses to my lengthy post!

As far as stability that is what you get with a two person ski. I own a polaris sl and a kawi zxi. They just take time getting used to and yes suck with 2 people. That is the main reason I bought a second ski, plus more fun by yourself. My 96 kawi 1100zxi has never rolled over. I have owned it for 7 years and never flipped it. As far as the expense to send it to a shop for repair thats when you need to grab a manual and learn how to do it your self. Shops have definatly not gotten cheaper in 10 years. Lots of info and people willing to help on here. Now as far as the newer 3 seaters like the 300x you got your eyes on. It is like sitting on a boat stability wise. As far as boarding goes you gotta just go for it and get your knees up there. You can add a rear step if you like that folds up when not in use. The larger skis dont move around as much while boarding like the smaller ones do.

+1
    get out of your ark lol times have changed in the past ten years all your wishes have come true you will be happy with your new ski.

Quote Originally Posted by stubburnjdh View Post
    As far as stability that is what you get with a two person ski. I own a polaris sl and a kawi zxi. They just take time getting used to and yes suck with 2 people. That is the main reason I bought a second ski, plus more fun by yourself. My 96 kawi 1100zxi has never rolled over. I have owned it for 7 years and never flipped it. As far as the expense to send it to a shop for repair thats when you need to grab a manual and learn how to do it your self. Shops have definatly not gotten cheaper in 10 years. Lots of info and people willing to help on here. Now as far as the newer 3 seaters like the 300x you got your eyes on. It is like sitting on a boat stability wise. As far as boarding goes you gotta just go for it and get your knees up there. You can add a rear step if you like that folds up when not in use. The larger skis dont move around as much while boarding like the smaller ones do.
    Thanks for responding....I my ZXi flipped ever time I used it! Good to know some of my concerns have been improved!

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    get out of your ark lol times have changed in the past ten years all your wishes have come true you will be happy with your new ski.
    haha...I'm really close to pulling the trigger, just not 100% sure yet and I can't find a place to demo one.

+1
    All the skis are stable now pretty much compared to a zxi hull. The service still isn't cheap and there will be service even though the skis are dependable. You are looking at the supercharged model which could be expensive if in need of repair. The warranty will cover it for a little while but only extended will cover it for any real time. Are you just wanting to be the fastest thing on the lake or do you just want to cruise, wakeboard and just enjoy the water? The 300 will definitely be fast but the range isn't what you would be getting with a naturally aspirated ski such as 15F or Ultra LX. I owned '96 900 zxi before buying my 15F and the comparison is night and day. The 4 stroke will start up quickly every time unlike a 2 stroke that you have to choke and crank until it decides it is ready. You won't be disappointed in any new ski you purchase with what you are worried about except for service if you don't do the work yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mirror View Post
    All the skis are stable now pretty much compared to a zxi hull. The service still isn't cheap and there will be service even though the skis are dependable. You are looking at the supercharged model which could be expensive if in need of repair. The warranty will cover it for a little while but only extended will cover it for any real time. Are you just wanting to be the fastest thing on the lake or do you just want to cruise, wakeboard and just enjoy the water? The 300 will definitely be fast but the range isn't what you would be getting with a naturally aspirated ski such as 15F or Ultra LX. I owned '96 900 zxi before buying my 15F and the comparison is night and day. The 4 stroke will start up quickly every time unlike a 2 stroke that you have to choke and crank until it decides it is ready. You won't be disappointed in any new ski you purchase with what you are worried about except for service if you don't do the work yourself.
    Well, I do want the fastest one out there....that's just me. But I have been considering getting 2 and maybe getting like the 15F for my wife. She isn't interested in the speed anyway. Lots of choices!!

Question: Can you get a better deal if you buy a pair?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesark View Post
    Hello all,

We took a 3-4 year break from the lake up till this summer. Being there made me want another PWC....bad! I've been back for about 2 weeks now and spend most my time researching on the web, with my interest growing everyday! Although I still have these nervous feelings about kawasaki I keep coming back to the 300x!
    You are not going to believe how far they have come. A couple of years ago I bought a Yamaha FZR after owning a year 2000 Yamaha GPR 2 stroke, and a 1997 Yamaha GP 1200 (mind you I also owned a 1996 ZXI at one point). They have come SO FAR. These ski's have SO much power now, the handling is better, the acceleration (especially on the 300x) is such an adrenaline rush, they are bigger and more stable, and way easier to re-board, too. I'm 6'8", 250....so I know what you're talking about. And the 300x has a boarding step anyway. These skis are nothing to get back on to compared to something like the Zxi....nothing.
    You will not be disappointed!

+1
    Welcome aboard, jonesark!

I've owned a 900 and 1100 ZXis and, though I don't weigh 240, I've carried passengers with a total weight of over 300 pounds. Never had trouble tipping over.

I've managed to flip almost all of them from horsing around. The only one I couldn't flip, or even spin, was an old TS. That thing was so slow it couldn't get out of it's own way.

I loved our ultra 150's so much, I thought I would buy another if I could find one new in the crate. Rode one this weekend after having a 250 and now a 300 for 4 season, it felt like an antique. ski's have come a long way, never flipped or sunk my 250 in 4 seasons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information